The Office of Campus Recreation welcomes you to the Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center. As members of the campus community and patrons of the Rec Center, we need your assistance in maintaining a safe and healthy environment. We strongly encourage our patrons to read, understand and abide by the policies and procedures herein summarized.
The Office of Campus Recreation strives to provide a safe and enjoyable atmosphere for all participants and reserves the right to immediately affect any new policies and/or procedures to protect our patrons. Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center (VRWC) Policies
- Misconduct or failure to follow facility policies may result in ejection and / or suspension form the VRWC.
- A valid Vanderbilt Card or VRWC Pass is required to be admitted to the VRWC. Members may sign in without Vanderbilt Card or VRWC pass ONE (1) time per semester.
- Individuals improperly accessing the facility are subject to having Rec Center privileges revoked.
- Alumni visiting the campus for homecoming, reunions and other special occasions as determined by The OCR Director will be allowed use of the facility during posted hours by presenting their alumni ID.
- Parents and siblings visiting the campus will be allowed to use the facility during posted hours for free.
- Solicitation is considered badgering and / or deceitfully persuading a member to gain access into the VRWC. Solicitation is strictly prohibited. Potential guest may not enter facility to locate a sponsor. Members may not sign in any patron soliciting access at or near the welcome center.
- All media must receive clearance from the Assistant Vice Chancellor Brock Williams and Vanderbilt’s News and Communications office (615-322-2706) before entering the Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center and / or surrounding recreational fields.
- Coaching, Teaching, Instruction and Personal Training for personal financial gain is not permitted.
- Faculty / Staff spouses may purchase Basic or Premium membership without the Vanderbilt employee joining the VRWC. The fee is the same as for faculty / staff.
- Alumni spouses are eligible for membership only if the alum is a current member. The fee is the same as an alumni membership.
- There must be one adult member present per 4 children under the age of 18 unless approved by OCR.
- Faculty / Staff members may use payroll deduction to pay for memberships for themselves and spouses only. They may not deduct for a dependent’s membership.
- Vanderbilt Temporary Staff (VTS) are eligible for a community membership.
- Payroll deduction is available for any full time faculty / staff. Annual Membership (12 months) is required. Yearly is 12 months from the time you sign up. PAYROLL DEDUCTION IS CONTINUAL UNTIL MEMBER SIGNS CANCELLATION AGREEMENT.
C. Dependent Membership: Parent Must Be A Current Member
- Dependents ages 3-25, may purchase a Basic or Premium membership only if the parent (student / faculty / staff / alumni / affiliate) is a current member.
- Dependent members may access the facility with a weekend membership starting Friday at 5 pm and all day Saturday and Sunday this includes all University designated holidays and breaks.
- Those ages 3-18 may enter with an adult sponsor as a guest at $10. Guest policy applies.
- Under age 18 MAY NOT participate in kayaking workshops, and cannot use the climbing wall without a parent or legal guardians permission.
- Those under the age of 18 must be accompanied and supervised by an adult at all times.
- For children 3 and under there is no fee.
D. Guest Pass: ALL GUESTS MUST SHOW PHOTO ID
- Sponsor assumes all responsibility for all guest actions.
- Effective May 2, 2012 there is a $10 per day, non-transferable, non-refundable, and cannot serve as a credit for membership.
- Guest passes may not be purchased for a single individual more than 20 times per semester
- VU faculty / staff, spouses of faculty / staff and domestic partners, student spouses and domestic partners, and alumni are allowed to self-sponsor and pay the $10 guest fee. All other visitors including alumni spouses, their dependents and community including VTS must be sponsored and show photo ID.
- Guests will not be allowed access and / or use of the facility without being accompanied by a valid sponsor. Guest must exit the facility when the sponsors leave.
- One adult member may not bring more than four (4) guests under the age of 18 at a time.
- Departments wishing to sponsor a guest must contact the Assistant Director of Member Relations prior to visit date for details.
E. Activity Areas
- Campus Recreation programs have priority of usage over informal recreation use.
- The Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center is a non-smoking building.
- No food or drink will be allowed in the GYM. Other activity areas may have closed top plastic containers or rules posted regarding food or beverage.
- Only non-marking athletic shoes are allowed on any hardwood floor. No hard sole shoes allowed.
- Hanging on basketball rims is prohibited.
- There is a 25 minute game time limit.
- Do not move any equipment set-up on courts. Ask the building staff for assistance with equipment set-up or removal.
F. Equipment Services
- Members may checkout informal recreation equipment on a first come, first serve basis. Certain checkouts require a fee.
- A University ID must be presented for any checked out equipment.
- If equipment is not returned, or is lost, stolen or damaged; payment must be made per the assessed fee schedule before the patrons ID can be released.
4. All informal recreation equipment checkouts including rental towels are (non-refundable).
F. Racquetball/Squash Court Reservations
- Reservations can be made in person during facility hours. Monday – Friday 6 am – 2 pm, Saturday 9 am – 2 pm, and Sunday noon – 3 pm
- Reservations sheets are posted three days in advance of the date of play.
- Unreserved courts may be used on a first come, first serve basis.
- There is a 15 minute grace period for reserved courts.
- Racquetball challenge court #1 is available daily from 4 pm – 7 pm.
- Metal racquets must have racquet guards.
- Protective eyewear is available and strongly recommended.
G. Fitness Center
- Individuals are responsible for their own health and safety. For your safety, please follow all posted notices regarding fitness room policies.
- No one under 14 years of age may enter the fitness room at any time.
- Shirts and athletic shoes must be worn at all times. No sandals (open-heeled or open-toed) permitted.
- The use of towels is highly recommended for personal hygiene and equipment care.
- Water permitted in closed plastic containers only.
- Please adhere to 45 min. rule when patrons are waiting to use equipment.
- Do not drop weights from any height to floor as weights may break.
- Do not lift free weights near windows or mirrors.
- Keep hands and feet clear of moving parts while using machines.
- Never put hands or feet under weight stakes.
- Place hands and feet only on hand grips and footrests provided.
- Do not operate or attempt to repair machines with loose or damaged parts. Notify VRWC staff.
- Do not bring personal belongings into fitness room.
- Personal training for financial gain is not permitted.
- Free weights must be returned to their proper place after use.
I. Lockers/Locker Rooms
- Lockers located in the locker room are for day use only. Overnight use is not allowed. A fee is assessed for any items removed at closing by and VRWC staff member.
- Lockers in corridor are for rental use only. NO PERSONAL LOCKS ALLOWED.
- The OCR is not responsible for items left in lockers when locks are removed.
- Locker room etiquette only permits children under 4 of the opposite gender to enter locker rooms and shower areas.
- Refundable day use lockers are available in the locker corridor for $.25.
- Do Not use any Electronic Devices inside the locker room.
- Day use combo lock is available at equipment services for. $.50 (non-refundable rental).
- Locker memberships receive a towel service free when purchased for the following periods.
*Academic Year (Fall and Spring)
Small 40.00 Medium 45.00 Large 50.00
*Academic Year and Summer
Small 60.00 Medium 65.00 Large 75.00
- Proper swim attire is required. No street clothes, denim shorts, or thong bathing suits are permitted in the pool area.
- Gum and band-aids must be deposited in the trash cans before entering the water
- The Aquatics Staff will provide a complimentary life jacket to anyone who requests one.
- Glass containers are not allowed in the aquatic facility or outside patio.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the aquatic facility. (plastic water bottles are permitted with WATER only)
- No running on the deck
- No pushing, shoving, horseplay, or inappropriate behavior is allowed.
- No diving into the shallow end of the pool.
- No hanging on lane ropes or hand rails
10. Children under the age of 18 years old must be accompanied by an parent / guardian at all times. When in the pool area a ratio of one parent / guardian per four children 13 years of age and under must be present. However, children who cannot swim must be within an arm’s reach of a parent / guardian in the shallow end. There must be one parent /guardian per child who cannot swim.
11. Children who are not toilet trained, must wear swim diapers.
12. Individuals who cannot swim are only allowed in the shallow end of the pool.
13. Backward dives and flips are not allowed
14. Listen to the lifeguards and all other aquatic staff at all times. They are there to help you.
15. During peak hours, pool patrons must share lanes. USE circle swimming method (see diagram in pool area).
16. The pool will be cleared for approximately 30 minutes in cases of bad weather (lightning strikes, tornado warnings, etc).
17. Coaching, Teaching, Instruction and Personal Training for personal financial gain is not permitted.
18, Sharing lap swimming lanes is expected during periods of high occupancy.
K. Elevated/Suspended Running Track: 9.2 Laps= 1 mile
- The running track is for runners, joggers, and walkers only.
- Spectators must use the lower level. Standing at the rail is prohibited.
- Stretching is confined to the designated stretching area along the east wall.
L. Aerobics Room and Mat Room
- Rooms may be used upon request.
- No kicking hard ball that may break mirrors.
- Removal of equipment and / or mats is strictly prohibited.
M. Wellness Resource Center
- All services are free of charge including fitness assessments, body fat testing and resource library.
- Call to make appointments for fitness assessments and body fat testing.
N. Parking (PLEASE READ POSTED WARNINGS)
- 2 hour parking is available behind the Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center on Children’s Way.
- Medical Center Lots 74 and 75 (west of Natchez Trace) after 4 pm Mon. – Fri., and all day on weekends for all registered VU vehicles.
- Metered Parking Lot 27
O. Telephone and Vending Machines
- An on-campus phone is located in the lounge near the restrooms. The Welcome Center and Equipment Services phone is for VRWC only (Unless approved by OCR staff).
- Vending machines are located on the first floor lounge and near the fitness center. Please report vending issues to dining services.