Ph.D. (University of Florida, 1978)
Professor of Psychology
Investigator, Vanderbilt Kennedy Center for Research on Human Development, Professor of Hearing and Speech Sciences
Professor Walden is interested in early social and emotional development of young children. Her research focuses on the way in which the social environment influence children's emotional responses. Current research projects include studies of social referencing of parents by their children and development of emotion regulation. She also focuses on the understanding of other persons' intentions and children who are at risk for attention problems. Current studies of at-risk children focus on autism and stuttering in early social and emotional development of young children.
- Ntourou, K., Conture, E., & Walden, T. (2013). Emotional reactivity and regulation in preschool-age children who stutter. Journal of Fluency Disorders. (NIHMS377362).
- Choi, D., Conture, E., Walden, T. & Lambert, E.W. (2013) Behavioral inhibition and childhood stuttering. Journal of Fluency Disorders. 38, 171-183, PMC3686543.
- Conture, E., Kelly, E. & Walden, T. (2013). Temperament, speech, and language: An overview. Journal of Communication Disorders , 46, 125-142, PMICD: PMC3630249, NIHMS431778, PMID23273707, doi: 10.1016/j.jcomdis.2012.11.002.
- Johnson, K., Conture, E., & Walden, T. (2012). Efficacy of attention regulation in preschool-age children who stutter: A preliminary investigation. Journal of Communication Disorders, 45, 263-278, PMID: 22560538.
- Conture, E. & Walden, T. (2012). A Dual Diathesis-Stressor Model of Stuttering. In Y.O. Filatova (Ed.), Theoretical Issues of Fluency Disorders. Moscow: National Book Centre. ISBN 978-5-4441-0005-9.
- Clark, C., Conture, E. & Walden, T. (2012). Communicative and psychological dimensions of the KiddyCAT. Journal of Communication Disorders, 45, 223-234, PMCID: PMC3334450, PMID: 22333753, NIHMS 352107, doi: 10.1016/j.jcomdis.2012.01.002.
- Malesa, E., Stone, W., Yoder, P., Warren, Z. & Walden, T. (2012). Predicting age 5 language and social outcomes for later-born siblings of children with ASD. International Journal of Research and Practice. PMID: 22751752, doi: 10.1177/1362361312444628.
- Walden, T. Frankel, C., Buhr, A., Johnson, K., Conture, E., & Karrass, J. (2012). Dual diathesis-stressor model of emotional and linguistic contributions to developmental stuttering. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 40, 633-644. PMID: 22016200, doi: 10.1007/s10802-011-9581-8.
- Arnold, H. S., Conture, E. G., Key, A., & Walden, T. (2011). Emotional reactivity, regulation and childhood stuttering: A behavioral and electrophysiological study. Journal of Communication Sciences and Disorders, 44, 276-293. PMCID: PMC3095767, PMID: 21276977, NIHMS 261033, doi: 10.1016/j.jcomdis.2010.12.003.
- Kim, G., Walden, T. & Knieps, L. (2010) Impact and characteristics of positive and fearful emotional messages during infant social referencing, Infant Behavior and Development, 33, 189-195. PMID: 20116107, NIHMS 174660, doi:10.1016/j.infbeh.2009.12.009.
- Johnson, K. Walden, T., Conture, E., & Karrass, J. (2010) Spontaneous regulation of emotions in preschool children who stutter Prelininary findings. Journal of Speech, Language, Hearing Research, 53, 1-18.
- Noland, J., Reznick, J. S., Stone, W., Walden, T., & Sheridan, E. (2010). Better working memory for non-social targets in infant siblings of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Developmental Science, 13, 1-8. PMCID: PMC2818009, PMID: 20121880, NIHMS 122294, doi: 10.1111/j.1467-7687.2009.00882.
- Yoder, P., Stone, W., Walden, T., & Malesa, E. (2009). Predicting social impairment and ASD diagnosis in younger siblings of children with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 39, 1381-1391. PMID: 19449096, doi: 10.1007/s 1083-009-0753-0.
- Johnson, K.; Karrass, J., Conture, E., & Walden, T. (2009). Influence of stuttering variation on talker group classification in preschool children: Preliminary findings. Journal of Communication Disorders. PMCID: PMC2837553, PMID: 19167719, NIHMS 165806, doi: 10.1016/j.jcomdis.2008.12.001.
- Walden, T., Deak, G., & Kaiser, M.G. (2008) Driven from distraction: How infants respond to parents’ attempts to elicit and re-direct their attention. Infant Behavior and Development, 31, 34-50. PMID: 17692386, doi: 10.1016/j.infbeh.2007.06.004.
- Stone, W., McMahon, C., Yoder, P. & Walden, T. (2007). Early social-communicative and cognitive development of younger siblings of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Archives of Pediatric Adolescent Medicine, 161, 384-390. PMID: 17404136, doi: 10.1001/archpedi.161.4.384.
- Walden, T., Kim, Y., Karrass, J., & McCoy, C. (2007). Do you believe in magic? Infants’ social looking during violations of expectations. Developmental Science, 10, 654-663. PMID: 17683349. doi: 10.111/j.1467-7687.2007.00607.x.
- Presmanes, A., Walden, T., Stone, W., & Yoder, P. (2007). Effects of different attentional cues on responding to joint attention in younger siblings of children with autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disabilities, 37, 133-144. PMID: 17186366, doi: 10.1007/s10803-006-0338-0.
- Schwenk, K., Conture, E. & Walden, T. (2007). Reaction to background stimulation of preschool children who do and do not stutter. Journal of Communication Disorders, 40,129-141. PMID: 16876188, NIHMS 165805, doi: 10.1016/j.comdis.2006.06.003.
- Kim, G., Walden, T., Harris, V., Karrass, J., & Catron, T. (2006). Positive Emotion, Negative Emotion, and Emotion Control in the Externalizing Problems of School-Aged Children. Child Psychiatry and Human Development, 37, 221-239. PMID: 17001525, doi: 10.1007/s10578-006-0031-8.
- Karrass, J., Walden, T., Conture, E., Graham, C., Arnold, H., Hartfield, K., & Schwenk, K. (2006). Relation of emotional reactivity and regulation to childhood stuttering. Journal of Communication Disorders, 39, 402-423. PMCID: PMC1630450, PMID: 16488427, NIHMS 11467, doi: 10.1016/j.comdis.2005.12.004.
- Conture, E., Walden, T., Graham, C., Arnold, H., Hartfield, K., and Karrass, J. (2006).Communicative-Emotional Model of Developmental Stuttering. Chapter in N. Bernstein Ratner and J. Tetnowski (Eds.). Stuttering: New directions in research (pp. 17-46). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Walden, T. & Hurley, J. (2005) A developmental approach to autism. In T.Charman and W. Stone (Eds.) Social and communication development in autism spectrum disorders.Guilford Press.
- Walden, T. & Kim, G. (2005). Infants’ social looking toward mothers and strangers. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 29, 356-360. doi: 10.1080/01650250500166824.
- Dimitropoulos, A., Blackford, J., Walden, T. & Thompson, T. (2005). Compulsive behavior in Prader-Willi syndrome; examining severity in early childhood. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 27, 190-202. PMID: 15950435, doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9507.2005.00324.x.
- Karrass, J. & Walden, T. (2005). Effects of nurturing and non-nurturing caregiving on child social initiatives: An experimental investigation of emotion as a mediator of social behavior. Social Development, 14, 685-700. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9507.2005.00324.x.