Director of Graduate Studies
Associate Professor of Sociology (by courtesy)
Jonathan Hiskey is Associate Professor of Political Science and Director of Graduate Studies at Vanderbilt University. Hiskey received his Ph.D. from the University of Pittsburgh in 1999, winning the 2001 American Political Science Association's Gabriel A. Almond award for best dissertation in comparative politics. After spending five years at the University of California-Riverside, he joined Vanderbilt in 2005. His research interests center on local development processes in Latin America during times of political and economic reform. In particular, much of his research has focused on the development consequences of Latin America's uneven political and economic transitions over the past thirty years, with a particular interest in Mexico. More recently, Hiskey has carried out research on the political implications of migration for sending communities across Latin America. He is the author of articles in such journals as the American Journal of Political Science, British Journal of Political Science, Comparative Politics, Electoral Studies and the Latin American Research Review. Most recently, Hiskey was a contributor and co-editor of a special volume of the Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science entitled "Continental Divides: International Migration in the Americas" (July 2010).
- Hiskey, Jonathan T., and Gary L. Goodman. “The Participation Paradox of Indigenous Autonomy in Mexico.” Latin American Politics and Society, 53(2)(2011): 61-86.
- Hiskey, Jonathan T., and Diana Orces. "Transition Shocks and Emigration Profiles In Latin America." Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 630(1)(2010): 116-136.
- Hiskey, Jonathan T., and Gary L. Goodman. "Exit Without Leaving: Political Disengagement in High Migration Municipalities in Mexico." Comparative Politics 40(2)(2008): 169-188.
- Hiskey, Jonathan T. "The Political Economy of Subnational Economic Recovery in Mexico." Latin American Research Review 40(1)(2005): 30-55.
- Hiskey, Jonathan T., and Shaun Bowler. "Local Context and Democratization in Mexico." American Journal of Political Science 49(1)(2005): 57-71.
- View Curriculum Vitae