6301 Stevenson Center
VU Station B #351807
Nashville, TN 37235
Graduate Application Deadlines and Checklist
Almost all graduate students are admitted for entry in the Fall semester
which starts at the end of August. Entry in the Spring semester (which starts
in early January) is rare and usually not advisable because our department has
a two-semester core course sequence, and all courses start in the Fall
semester. Here are some deadlines you need to be aware of in order to get in
your application on time:
- January 1: Applications received before January 1 will receive priority in admissions acceptance.
- March 31: Graduate School admission decisions will be mailed by this date to all applicants whose files are complete.
- April 15: Deadline for applicants to respond to offers of admission. If your reply is not received by April 15, the
department may reallocate any offer of financial reward.
Checklist For Applications
- Submit admissions application online (FREE) or mail it with the
application fee to:
The Graduate School
411 Kirkland Hall
Nashville, TN 37240
- Apply for financial aid, if you desire.
- Compose a statement of purpose.
- Request 3 letters of recommendation.
- Order official transcript of grades from all the institutions that you
- Submit your GRE-General and GRE-physics scores.
- For international students: Submit your TOEFL score (Test Of English
as a Foreign Language). Note that Vanderbilt University requires a minimum
acceptable TOEFL score of 570 on the paper-based test which corresponds to
88 on the computer-based test.
After you accept the offer
Plan on arriving in Nashville by August 14th or earlier; the following workshops and orientation sessions are MANDATORY for those graduate students who will be a teaching assistant (TA) and are typically scheduled in the week before classes begin:
- International Teaching Assistant Orientation for all international graduate
- Teaching Assistant Orientation for all first-time teaching assistants
- Physics and Astronomy Lab Safety Inservice
- Physics and Astronomy Department Graduate Student Orientation.
- Physics and Astronomy Department Teaching Assistant and Grader Orientation
Copyright 2010, Vanderbilt University