The 4+1 program is available only to current Vanderbilt undergraduate students majoring in MHS. Accepted students receive registration priority in their senior year in order to complete their BA and begin MA requirements. The MA requires 30 credit hours including up to 6 hours of thesis research. Typically, MHS 4+1 students take 3 to 6 hours of graduate coursework in their senior year. 4+1 students complete the same requirements as students in the MA program.
Most 4+1 students engage in research, service learning or internships in the summer between their 4th and 5th year. Students are eligible for the summer research grants and tuition scholarships for MA thesis research.
- Vanderbilt students with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Major in MHS and related disciplines
- No GRE scores are required
4+1 APPLICATION PROCESS
Applications are evaluated on a rolling basis. Application opens June 1 with a deadline of November 1. Submit all application materials to MHS@Vanderbilt.edu. Application materials include:
- Petition to Apply to the Combined BA/MA (4+1) Degree Program signed by your faculty advisor.
- Statement of Purpose/Research Statement that describes past research and/or academic experience, interests for graduate study, and future plans following graduate school (1-2 pages)
- One letter of recommendation from an MHS or MHS affiliated faculty member. The letter of recommendation should be emailed separately by the faculty member.
4+1 SCHOLARSHIPS AND FINANCIAL AID
Students who are receiving scholarship or other forms of financial aid as a Vanderbilt undergraduate are advised that such aid applies, in most cases, only toward the completion of the Bachelor’s degree or the first four years of their studies (which may include taking some graduate courses during their senior year). Students pursuing the 4+1 typically seek support for their fifth year of study through student loans and external funding. Information about external funding opportunities is available through the Vanderbilt University Office of Honors Scholarships and Financial Aid.
Questions about the MHS 4+1 MA program? Contact your MHS adviser or Dr. JuLeigh Petty, Assistant Director of MHS, at firstname.lastname@example.org.