Vanderbilt Magazine

Vanderbilt Magazine

Where Are They Now?

SportsSummer 2009  |  Share This  |  E-mail  |  Print  | 
(2 votes)

Phil Cox, 1985As students at Jefferson Middle School in Oak Ridge, Tenn., go through their daily schedules, do they realize that Mr. Cox, their vice principal and athletics director, is a bona fide SEC basketball legend? That’s Phil Cox, BS’85, who at one time held the Vanderbilt scoring record with 1,724 points. He now ranks third, but if the three-point shot had been a part of the game during his career, the hot-shooting guard’s record may well have been untouchable. “People have mentioned that to me,” Cox says, “but I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to play at Vanderbilt. Life’s been good to me.” He was a two-time All-SEC selection and set league records for most consecutive free throws made in a season (43) and over two seasons (47). He still ranks second in that category. In recognition of his achievements, Cox was named a member of the 2009 class of Southeastern Conference Basketball Legends at the SEC Tournament in Tampa, Fla., in March. “It was a totally awesome experience,” he says of the four-day tournament, which he attended with his daughter, Callie, a high-school freshman basketball and softball player. “I’ll always cherish that time I was able to spend with my daughter,” he says. “She heard stories that were told of my days as a player. It brought back a lot of memories.” Cox and his wife, Kim, also have two sons: Trevor, 10, and Eli, 6.

Phil Cox receives the SEC Legend  Award from associate  commissioner Mark Womack.

Phil Cox receives the SEC Legend Award from associate commissioner Mark Womack.

© 2014 Vanderbilt University

Share Your VUpoint

Conversation guidelines: Vanderbilt Magazine welcomes your thoughts, stories and information related to this article. Please stay on topic and be respectful of others. Keep the conversation appropriate for interested readers across the map.

Butch Johnson says:

Phil Cox was and still is my all time favorite Vandy player.

Keep Reading

None Found

Search