Reaction to Reactor Photo?

We’re still seeking the names of those pictured in the spring 2010 “A Look Back” article. Bob Smith, BE’63, identified one alumnus, but we still want to know the others. Email engineering.magazine@vanderbilt.edu if you can help. From left, they are Lewis E. Akin (BE’59, MS’60), Professor John Dunlap (BE’53, MS’56), unknown, Professor Waverly Graham, unknown, Bill Westerman (BE’59, MS’61), unknown.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print this article!
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks

Discussion

Comments are disallowed for this post.

1. I am properly identified, but at the time I was a candidate for M.S. in the Engineering School. Later, I received a Ph.D. in Nuclear Engineering from Ga. Tech and was on the faculty there for several years. My father was Dr. Walter Waverly Graham, Head of Applied Mathematics in the V. U. Engineering School until his retirement.

To the left of Prof. Dunlap is probably Bill Johnson, another M.S. candidate. Akin is properly identified. I think all 3 of us completed the program in August 1960.

By the way, this is a sub-critcal facility(incapable of reaching a self-sustaining neutron population without a neutron source present). It was used to demonstrate the multiplicative increase in neutron population as fuel is added.

Posted by W. Waverly Graham, III | October 6, 2010, 3:16 pm
  2. Thank you for that information. It’s great to be able to flesh out the rest of the story. So many people find it fascinating that VUSE had such equipment on campus. I hope other people recognize themselves and let us know their identities! Thanks again.

Posted by wisen | October 6, 2010, 3:28 pm