Areas of Interest
- Developing tutoring interventions for 3rd-grade students with math difficulties.
- Organizing and conducting randomized field trials to assess efficacy of tutoring interventions.
- Analyzing performance differences of students with math difficulties only and students with math and reading difficulties.
- Training teachers on the implementation of Math Peer Assisted Learning Strategies (PALS) for kindergarten though sixth-grade students.
- Mathematical Problem Solving
- Mathematical Difficulties
- Elementary Math Instruction
Current Research Topic/Field-Based Project
Conducting a randomized field experiment for 3rd-grade students with math difficulties with and without comorbid reading difficulties. Students are randomly assigned to one of three conditions: word problem-solving tutoring, word problem-solving and number combinations tutoring, or no-treatment control. Students in the tutoring conditions are individually tutored for 48 sessions. Student brain activity on various math activities is also assessed during fMRI scans.
- Kindergarten teacher.
- Research project coordinator.
- M.A. (2001): School Administration, Vanderbilt University
- B.A. (1999): Elementary Education, Centre College