Out in Front
Join us for Out in Front 2013, the fourth annual LGBTQI and Ally Undergraduate Student Leadership Conference. Meet peers from across the state to share resources, develop leadership skills, and foster a strong community of LGBTQI and allied student leaders.
OUT in Front is open to any currently enrolled undergraduate at a two- or four- year institution.
The mission of OUT in Front is to engage students, faculty, and staff from across the region in issues relevant to the LGBTQI community and society at large.
Each year, the conference strives to connect both individuals and communities with resources that will help to enrich lives in the area. OUT in Front strives to enhance leadership development for LGBTQI and allied students.
Rooted in the Social Change Model of leadership development, OUT in Front intends to create:
Individual Values: Understanding ourselves and how our own experiences impact our perspectives, leadership style, and action. This will better inform how we interact with others and how we approach engagement and service.
Group Values: Explore the LGBTQI spectrum and examine the personal and political significance of identity and inclusion. In addition explore collaboration, common purpose and controversy with civility.
Community Values: Encourage participants to take collaborative action at the individual, group, and/or institutional levels to create social change that promotes equity for all.
To read more about this framework, visit socialchangemodel.ning.com.
The next Out in Front will be held on Saturday, Feb. 9, 2013, from 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Here is the master schedule (subject to change):
- 9am: Check-in and breakfast, Student Life Center, Board of Trust Room
- 9:30-10am: Welcome and Safe Space (Board of Trust room)
- 10-10:50am: Session 1: Individual Values (Board of Trust room)
- 11-11:50am: Session 2: Group Values (various rooms)
- 12-1pm: Lunch and Energizer (Board of Trust room)
- 1:15-2:15pm: Session 3: Community Values (various rooms)
- 2:30-3:30pm: Keynote by Nadine Smith, Executive Director of Equality Florida (Board of Trust room)
- 3:45-4:30pm: Closing
Out in Front is held in the Student Life Center at Vanderbilt University. Check-in will be located outside the Student Life Center Board of Trust Room.
Students: register for the conference here by January 17, 2013, to get a Out in Front t-shirt, or by February 1st, 2013, to attend.
Out in Front is seeking proposals that effectively tie back to the theme and at least one of the pillars (individual values, group values, community values) closely. Please consider this in the submission of the workshop proposal.
Submit your workshop proposal here by 5 pm on Friday January 18th.
In addition, please keep in mind the following:
- Completely fill out the workshop application and submit by the deadline.
- Please make sure that you are available Saturday, February 9th from 9:30 am to 6 pm.
- If you are attending, please complete the registration form.
- If you need a computer for your presentation, please be prepared to provide your own laptop and adaptor (Projectors, Screens, and presentation paper will be provided by Vanderbilt LGBTQI Life upon request).
- Acceptance notices will be sent out by January 28th.