PREP Service Internships
learn more about PREP’s unique internship offerings!
there are two (2) options for a service internship:
- Community Action Service Internship
- Students work within a non-profit or government agency in the Nashville area, engaging in a more formal setting.
- Community Advocacy Service Internship
- Students create and lead original programming initiatives on campus that seek to educate other students regarding issues of diversity, citizenship, or social justice issues.
service internship requirements:
- Complete minimum of 60 hours during the spring semester (average of 4-6 hours per week)
- Meet with your designated mentor a minimum of 4 times
- Submit 10 weekly online journal reflections responding to prompts/questions from PREP staff
- Attend monthly dinner discussions and discuss your experiences, accomplishments, and challenges with your peers
prep service internships for course-credit
You may choose to count your PREP Service-Internship for one (1) credit hour during the spring semester. The following requirements apply:
- Submit the internship application form to Associate Dean Yollette Jones prior to the last day to add classes. Professor Mark Dalhouse is able to sign as your faculty advisor.
- Complete 75 hours of service at your internship over the course of the spring semester (average of 5 hours/week).
- Write a minimum of a 5 page paper reflecting upon your experience.
- The internship credit can count in the 18-credit hour bundle that you automatically pay each semester, no extra fees apply.
- For more information, see the College of Arts and Sciences website.
PREP-for-credit is completely optional. If you choose not to pursue credit, you will still need to complete 60 hours of service.
prep 2011 service internship sites
|COMMUNITY AGENCY||INTERNSHIP DESCRIPTION|
|Tennessee Justice Center||Legal Advocacy|
|Nashville Red Cross||Emergency Preparedness|
|Safe Haven Family Shelter||Homelessness|
|Vanderbilt Institute for Global Health||Global Health|
|Vanderbilt Center for Health Services||Health/Nutrition/Education|
|Exchange Club Family Center||Social Work|
|Girls on the Run||Wellness/Nonprofit Admin|
|Susan Grey School||Special Education|
|Junior Achievement||Education/Public Relations|
|Martha O’Bryan Center||College Access|
|State Senator Jack Johnson||Politics and Government|
|Preston Taylor Ministries||Education|
|Shade Tree Clinic||Health/Nonprofit Administration|
|Oasis Center||Youth and Homelessness|
|Nashville After-School Zone Alliance||Education|
|Cottage Cove Ministries||Education|
|United Way – TN Alliance for Financial Independence||Tax Preparation Assistance|
|Gun Free Dining Tennessee||Advocacy|
|You Have the Power||Social Work|
|Agape Animal Rescue||Animal Welfare|