Home » Blog » No Matter How Small…

No Matter How Small…

As I look and reflect on the community service that I was involved in, I always remember feeling a sense of accomplishment.  I get a feeling that what I do actually makes a difference in the world.

In relation to leadership,service to the community is a great reminder that credentials are not necessary to make a big impact.  This past weekend, I was fortunate to be involved with Hands on Nashville Day, one of Nashville’s biggest community service projects with over 2,300 volunteers working in 63 metro schools in the area. I was able to participate with our Leadership Hall cohort by painting walls and assisting with landscaping at Eakin Elementary for Hands on Nashville Day.  At the end of this event, I was pretty tired but the feeling of knowing that I did something worthwhile was amazing.

Community service may have many purposes like helping students add taglines to their résumés; promoting your organization to others and meeting many prominent people that can help launch your career. However, it is also important to commit to service because you want to share your leadership gifts and not because you would like to gain something from your volunteering.  In other words, give without expecting something in return.

The feeling that comes from doing that is one of the greatest feelings in the world. If you have not had the chance to serve in your community, connect with the Office of Active Citizenship and Service (OACS) to learn more about how you can get involved and make a difference on campus or the Nashville community.  Try something different and give your college experience some flare.  With that said, I leave you with this quote:

“True leaders understand that leadership is not about them but about those they serve. It is not about exalting themselves but about lifting others up.” ~ Sheri L. Dew

Yours in Leadership,

Wil De Los Santos