Home » Notes » A Chink in the Armor: How a Uniform Approach to Proportionality Analysis Can End the Use of Human Shields

A Chink in the Armor: How a Uniform Approach to Proportionality Analysis Can End the Use of Human Shields

PDF · Margaret T. Artz · Nov-28-2012 · 45 VAND. J. TRANSNAT’L L. 1447 (2012)

The appropriate response to human shields is a recurring issue in modern warfare. Technological asymmetry, disparate obligations, and doctrinal divergence between state and nonstate adversaries combine to make civilians account for 84 percent of combat deaths. Just as a slot machine entices a gambler though he rarely wins, the international community’s inconsistent response to human shields has placed shield users on an intermittent reinforcement schedule, thereby ensuring that this tactic remains part of insurgent strategy. Long-term protection of civilians requires eliminating this tactic.  Principles of behavior science indicate that an effective way to do so is to uniformly remove its desired consequence— combatants must never allow the presence of shields to impede access to the shielded military objective. This approach is supported by a broader, more forward-thinking conception of the principle of proportionality as reflected in current treaty and customary international law.

2 Responses to “A Chink in the Armor: How a Uniform Approach to Proportionality Analysis Can End the Use of Human Shields”

1. I truly appreciate this post. I have been looking all over for this!
    Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day!
    Thx again

posted on September 4th, 2014 at 2:42 am
  2. I merely such as valuable information and facts a person deliver with your content articles.. Holdem Poker, Holdem Poker Site,Best Holdem Poker Site, I will save ones web site and check once again listed here on a regular basis. I am relatively sure I is going to be educated plenty of new products appropriate below! All the best for the!

posted on November 14th, 2014 at 2:44 am