Home » Notes » The Double-Helix Double-Edged Sword: Comparing DNA Retention Policies of the United States and the United Kingdom

The Double-Helix Double-Edged Sword: Comparing DNA Retention Policies of the United States and the United Kingdom

PDF · Erica Solange Deray · Jun-28-2012 · 44 VAND. J. TRANSNAT'L L. 745 (2011)

Forensic scientists have used DNA profiling technologies to link suspects to crimes since Alec Jeffreys first proposed the idea in the 1970s.  Recognizing the potential for using DNA databases to solve crimes and to prevent future crimes, England and Wales attempted to greatly expand its DNA database by allowing for the collection and indefinite retention of DNA profiles from arrestees. The European Court of Human Rights, however, issued a ruling in 2008 in the case of S. & Marper v. United Kingdom, advising the United Kingdom to restrict use of DNA profiles from arrestees and to establish time frames for removal of this information from databases.  Conversely, in the United States, federal and state legislation have become increasingly expansive and many states and the federal government now allow for collection of DNA samples from arrestees.  This Note considers the evolving United States laws governing DNA databases in light of the Marper decision and proposes placing limits on the ability of law enforcement to use and retain DNA profiles from arrestees.

2 Responses to “The Double-Helix Double-Edged Sword: Comparing DNA Retention Policies of the United States and the United Kingdom”

1. I have been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or blog posts on this sort of space .
    Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this site.
    Reading this information So i am satisfied to convey that I have a very just right uncanny
    feeling I found out just what I needed. I such
    a lot definitely will make sure to do not omit this site and provides it a glance regularly.

posted on August 19th, 2014 at 6:47 pm
  2. Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles
    as long as I provide credit and sources back to your weblog?
    My blog is in the very same niche as yours and my visitors would
    certainly benefit from some of the information you present here.
    Please let me know if this ok with you. Thanks!

posted on August 22nd, 2014 at 11:57 am