Home » What to Do If . . . » Life At Vanderbilt » Employment and Taxes

Employment and Taxes

International students are permitted to work up to twenty hours per week on campus.  For any off-campus employment, you must get authorization from ISSS before accepting any offers of employment.  Also refer to “Employment” in Immigration section of this handbook for information.

Vanderbilt Career Services

Campus Jobs Available

Off-Campus Employment


Non-immigrants in F or J status must file paperwork with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), even if there is no U.S. source of income. It is very important to remain in strict compliance with U.S. tax regulations. Individuals in F-1 or J-1 status who receive a U.S. source of income that is subject to withholding, must file annually by April 15; others must file by June 15. Records should be kept for five years. International students and scholars (with the exception of permanent residents, resident aliens for tax purposes, or those married to U.S. citizens) must file a 1040-NR Form for Non-Residents. Non-resident aliens should not file forms 1040, 1040-A, or 1040-EZ.

ISSS does not provide tax assistance. The International Tax Office sponsors a workshop on taxes for international students and scholars each spring semester. Watch for announcements in the email listserv. Tax laws are subject to change. Therefore, you should check each year to know the current legal requirements.