Home » Travel » General Information » Students



No appointment is necessary for travel endorsements. Simply visit ISSS during regular business hours (8am – 5:00pm, Monday – Friday). Complete the ISSS Travel Signature Request form and leave your document with the International Suite Receptionist.  Two business days later, your I-20/DS-2019 will be ready for pick up.

An F-1/J-1 student pursuing a full course of study wishing to leave the U.S. and return after a temporary absence of five months or less may do so with the following:

  • Valid passport
  • Valid F-1/J-1 Visa (unless exempt from the visa requirements)
  • Form I-20/DS-2019 properly endorsed for travel by ISSS within current term

The I-20 and DS-2019 both indicate that travel endorsement signatures are valid for up to one year.  ISSS recommends that students have travel signatures at least from the current semester to indicate they were in status.  If you have ever encountered difficulty re-entering the U.S. or have ever applied for reinstatement, it is advisable to obtain a new signature from ISSS and to request an official transcript from the Registrars Office.

F-1 Students on Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT)
An F-1 student in their last semester who has applied for post-completion OPT may travel outside the U.S. and return after a temporary absence with a valid passport, valid visa, and valid form I-20 endorsed for travel.

An F-1 student who is engaged in OPT after completion of their degree who travels outside the U.S. temporarily (less than 5 months) can be readmitted to resume employment for the remainder of the OPT period authorized on the EAD card, with the following documents:

  • Valid passport and F-1 Visa
  • Form I-20 signed for travel by ISSS within the last 6 months
  • An unexpired EAD card (OPT approval card)
  • Letter of employment to prove resuming employment

F-2 and J-2 Dependents must also have their I-20/DS-2019 endorsed for travel