J-1 Scholars and Student Interns
Vanderbilt University adheres to federal law that mandates that J-1 exchange visitors and J-2 dependents maintain health insurance throughout the “J” program. If you willfully fail to maintain health insurance, Vanderbilt must terminate your program and report to the U.S. Department of State. At that time, you will be deemed “out-of-status” and ineligible for extension of stay, employment, or change of status.
All J-1 and J-2 visa holders should submit the form below to ISSS to demonstrate compliance with this requirement.
Vanderbilt University cannot recommend, or endorse any specific health insurance company or policy. A list of health insurance providers can be found by clicking here. Additional options are below:
- Gallagher Koster (insurance provider for all Vanderbilt students)
- International Student and Scholar Health Insurance Plan -Quick Guide
- International Student and Scholar Health Insurance Brochure
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Note: In order to enroll online, you will be required to create an account. The account asks for a student ID. Scholars and Student Interns can use a Social Security Number, Vanderbilt Temporary ID Number, or any other 9 digit number to create an account.
- PSI International Health Insurance
- Harbour Group Insurance
- ISO Insurance
Some insurance plans meet most of the immigration requirements but do not provide adequate coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation of remains. None of the insurance plans available to Vanderbilt employees as part of benefits provide this coverage. If your preferred insurance does not include these two types of coverage, you can purchase an additional policy for a small cost. One option is listed below.