When You Arrive
Within the first week of your arrival you should do the following things:
- Check-in with ISSS. It is required for all new students to check-in with ISSS. Please bring all of your travel documents (passport, visa, I-94, I-20/DS-2019) with you so that copies can be made for your files. We will also need copies of travel documents for all your dependents with you in the US. Our number is 615-322-2753.
Complete the Contact Information form prior to arriving for check-in. This address should be your current address in the U.S. (temporary addresses such as hotels or hostels are acceptable). Once permanent address has been established please update the form.
Please come to ISSS during walk in hours: Monday through Friday 10am -12pm or 1:30pm – 3:30pm.
Check-in lasts up to one hour. During this time, you will meet with an ISSS adviser, receive a welcome packet, and gain important information to help in your transition to life at Vanderbilt. You can also find helpful resources on the Life at Vanderbilt page.
- Get your VUnetID and Vanderbilt email
- Get a student ID card
Commodore Card Office
184 Sarratt Student Center
Nashville, TN 37240
Monday – Friday 8:30-4:00
Tuesday until 7:00 pm
- Submit your Immunization Requirements Form to the Student Health Center if you haven’t already done so. The form is due to the Student Health Center by June 1, 2014. Click here for how to get to the Zerfoss Student Health Center.
- Health Insurance Waiver – Students with government sponsored health insurance (that meets the minimum requirements for international student insurance) should apply for a waiver. Waivers must be submitted online by September 7th for fall semester and January 6th for spring semester.
- Find a place to live (if you have not done so already)
- Open a bank account
- Set up the necessary utilities for your house (electricity, water, gas, etc.)
- Employment Information – only for student who receive payment from Vanderbilt
- I-9 Form – Complete an I-9 form at HR located at 2525 West End Avenue within three days of beginning your employment. Bring your passport, I-94 retrieval, and I-20 or DS-2019.
- Apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) – You must bring: Vanderbilt letter of admission (from your department), passport, I-94 card/retrieval, and I-20 or DS-2019, and Social Security Letter form from ISSS to the Social Security Administration office in person to apply for a SSN. For more information visit: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10181.pdf
- Windstar Tax System – contact the International Tax Office (ITO) to request Windstar access.
- Transportation (car, taxi, bus, bicycle, walking)
- Meet with any other Vanderbilt Staff as indicated in your correspondence with the University
- Register for classes through YES
- Attend International Student Orientation and Information Fair