J-1 Student Off Campus Employment for Urgent Financial Need
J-1 students may be authorized to work off-campus in this if you have serious and urgent financial need that you did not foresee when you became a J-1 student, or when you enrolled at Vanderbilt.
To be eligible, you must be:
- In valid J-1 status in the student sub-category
- Registered and studying full-time except during school breaks or a vacation period
- In good academic standing at Vanderbilt
- Approved in SEVIS for the specific employment in advance by ISSS
- Able to demonstrate serious, urgent, and unforeseen financial need
Complete the J Student Employment Application.
- Attach a letter explaining your situation and specifically indicating how the financial need is urgent and was unforeseen.
- Completed applications may be submitted to an International Student Adviser during walk-in hours or a scheduled appointment to allow opportunity to discuss your situation.
- Students are encouraged to submit the form 2 weeks in advance of your employment start date.
Students with DS-2019’s issued by a sponsor other than Vanderbilt, such as IIE, should contact their J-1 Responsible Officer for assistance.
On-campus employment is limited to no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session. Full-time employment (working more than 20 hours a week) is acceptable only during official school breaks such as Winter break, Spring break and Summer.
Authorization is valid for up to 12 months at a time. Students who wish to renew their authorization should submit the application with enough time to avoid gaps in employment.