Home » Immigration » F-1 Students » Employment


On-Campus Employment

F-1 students are eligible for on-campus employment which is limited to no more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session and full-time (more than 20 hours/week) ONLY during official school breaks (winter break, spring break, summer vacation).

There are a few resources for Vanderbilt students to find on-campus employment.

Hire-A-Dore is a database for Vanderbilt related job opportunities. PLEASE NOTE: HIRE-A-DORE ALSO INCLUDES POSITIONS THAT ARE OFF-CAMPUS. F-1 students are not legally allowed to accept these jobs without employment authorization.  They are generally classified as “other”, but be mindful when searching for employment on this site.

Additionally, if you have trouble logging in to Hire-A-Dore on your first attempt, contact Student Employment, and they will be able to help you.

Student Employment is another resource for helping Vanderbilt students find work.  Their office is located at 2309 West End Avenue, Nashville, TN 37203, the phone number is (615) 343-4562


To volunteer the position must be a legitimate, advertised volunteer position, and cannot receive any compensation including financial.

Differences Between CPT and OPT

H-1B Overview

The H-1B visa is an employer sponsored visa.  To obtain an H-1B you must have a job offer and an employer who is willing to sponsor your H-1B application.  The H-1B visa is employer and position specific.

An individual may work in H-1B status for a maximum of 6 years.  However, a petition will not be approved for more than 3 years at one time.