Spouses, domestic partners, and children of F and J visa holders should enroll in insurance and maintain coverage the entire time they are in the United States. J-2′s insurance should meet the minimum requirements set by the Department of State.
Insurance Options for F-2′s and J-2′s
Vanderbilt University cannot recommend, or endorse any specific health insurance company or policy. A list of health insurance providers can be found by clicking here. Additional options are below:
- Gallagher (insurance provider for all Vanderbilt students)
- Enrolled Vanderbilt students can choose to add dependents to their health insurance by completing the enrollment form on the Gallagher website. Please note there is an enrollment deadline. More information can be found on the Student Health Center website.
- Short term students, scholars, and student interns who purchase directly from Gallagher can purchase insurance for dependents as well. More information can be found on the Gallagher website.
- Note: In order to enroll online, you will be required to create an account. The account asks for a student ID. Scholars and Student Interns can use a Social Security Number, Vanderbilt Temporary ID Number, or any other 9 digit number to create an account.
- PSI International Health Insurance
- Harbour Group Insurance
- ISO Insurance
Medical Evacuation and Repatriation
Some insurance plans meet most of the immigration requirements but do not provide adequate coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation of remains. If your preferred insurance does not include these two types of coverage, you can purchase an additional policy for a small cost. Two options are listed below.
- Harbour Group Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Plan
- Gallagher Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Plan
- Vanderbilt University Medical Evacuation and Repatriation
Insurance Options for Children Born in the U.S.
Children born in the United States will be U.S. citizens, and therefore not eligible for the plans listed above. If you need to find health insurance for your child who is a U.S. citizen, you can search online for individual health insurance or use the Tennessee Health Insurance Marketplace.
The Tennessee Health Insurance Marketplace will allow you to search for an insurance plan and also help determine if your child is eligible for low-cost coverage through TennCare.