Home » Coming to Vanderbilt » Health Insurance » Dependent Insurance

Dependent Insurance

Spouses, domestic partners, and children of F and J visa holders should enroll in insurance and maintain coverage the entire time they are in the United States.  J-2′s insurance should meet the minimum requirements set by the Department of State.

Insurance Options for F-2′s and J-2′s

Vanderbilt University cannot recommend, or endorse any specific health insurance company or policy. A list of health insurance providers can be found by clicking here. Additional options are below:

Medical Evacuation and Repatriation

Some insurance plans meet most of the immigration requirements but do not provide adequate coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation of remains. If your preferred insurance does not include these two types of coverage, you can purchase an additional policy for a small cost. Two options are listed below.

Insurance Options for Children Born in the U.S.

Children born in the United States will be U.S. citizens, and therefore not eligible for the plans listed above. If you need to find health insurance for your child who is a U.S. citizen, you can search online for individual health insurance or use the Tennessee Health Insurance Marketplace.

The Tennessee Health Insurance Marketplace will allow you to search for an insurance plan and also help determine if your child is eligible for low-cost coverage through TennCare.