The Health Professions Advisory Office (HPAO) is here to assist Vanderbilt undergraduate students (and others with a Vanderbilt affiliation) interested in attending health professions graduate schools. We meet with students interested in medicine (both allopathic and osteopathic), dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, physical therapy, podiatric, etc. Students interested in an advanced career in nursing are encouraged to contact the School of Nursing for advice and counseling (Pre-Nursing Handbook). Please call the HPAO office and we will be happy to schedule a meeting to discuss your questions.
If you are currently not on our ListServ email distribution list, please request to be added so you may receive valuable information.
In 1985, the family and friends of Dr. Dana W. Nance (B.A., 1925, M.D., 1929) endowed the Nance Prize, which is awarded annually to a graduating pre-med student, “…who has demonstrated the perseverance to succeed in the pre-medical curriculum and who embodies the attributes of a caring physician.”
The Deans of the four undergraduate colleges join with the Health Professions Advisory Office in calling for essays from graduating Vanderbilt pre-med seniors who have applied to medical school and feel they represent the humanistic qualities of Dr. Nance. An interdisciplinary faculty committee will review each application. Three awards will be given in the amounts of $7500, $5000, and $3500. The deadline to enter is February 14, 2014.
Feb 14, 2014 - 4:00 PM FIRM DEADLINE - Nance Prize Application - CLICK HERE for application details
Apr 3, 2014 - 2:00-6:00 pm - HPAO 8th Annual Health Professions Graduate School Fair - SLC Ballrooms
Apr 9, 2014 - 5:15-6:15 pm - The Ohio State University School of Medicine - Dr. Capers - Stevenson
Vanderbilt Pre-health organizaitons
MCAT (medical college admissions test) Information
Register to take the MCAT - In order to help ensure that you get your desired site and date, please sign up as soon as registration opens.
In 2015, a NEW MCAT will be introduced to reflect the changing nature of medical education. (Please click on the links below for more information.)
Please note the IMPORTANCE OF ADVISING. The information provided in the links below is NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR CONVERSATIONS WITH YOUR ADVISOR! Consult both your school-based advisor and the Health Professions Advisory Office to develop a plan that suits your own strengths, interests, and background.
LINKS FOR GENERAL PRE-MED REQUIREMENTS:
To All Students Applying to Medical, DENTAL, PHARMACY, VET, AND ETC. AL, SchoolS in 2013 for 2014 admission:
An Advisor's Student Applicant Portfolio (ASAP) meeting/interview is required in order for the HPAO to prepare a committee letter to the health professions schools. This meeting is strongly recommended since most health professions schools require and/or expect to receive a letter from the school's health professions advisor if the student is still enrolled or has just graduated. These meetings can be scheduled to take place as early as February of the application year. The HPAO should be contacted well in advance of the preferred meeting date since the calendar fills up quickly. The completed ASAP document must be brought to the meeting. Students are also advised to start thinking about which faculty members to approach for letters of recommendation.
HELPFUL AID FOR YOUR INTERVIEW PROCESS
Ever wonder how you come across during an interview? Why not have a virtual mock interview and critique yourself? The Center for Student Professional Development provides a Mock Interview Module in DoreWay which is an excellent resource to guide you to being a great interviewee. Click here for instructions on using the interview module.
early acceptance programs
The Vanderbilt University School of Medicine (VUSM) no longer offers an Early Acceptance Program (EAP)
University of Cincinati ROSE Program (Sophomore Ohio residents)
University of Florida College of Medicine Juniors Honors Medical Program (UFCOM) (7 year BS/MD porgram - does not accept high school students)
- The Decision to Pursue a Career in Medicine
- You and Your Health Professions Advisor: An Important Partnership
- The Premedical Program of Study at Vanderbilt
- The AMCAS Personal Statement
- A Good AMCAS Essay, by Dr. Agnes Fogo, VUSM Admissions Committee Member
- Writing the AMCAS Esssay, by Dr. Tom Oeltmann, former Pre-health Professions Advisor
- The Application Process , by Dr. David Charles, M.D., Associate Professor & Vice-Chairman of Neurology for Education & Development
- Critical Elements of an AMCAS Personal Statement - by Dr. Jayant Shenai, VUSM Admissions Committee Member
- Essay Examples 1-5 Writing a better application essay.doc - by Laurence Solberg, MD, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Tips for Writing a Successful AMCAS Essay.ppt - by Laurence Solberg, MD, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Writers Workshop materials
- How to have a good interview - by Dr. Zic, Associate Dean of Admissions for Vanderbilt Medical School, PowerPoint from AED meeting 9/18/2007
- Medical School Interview: Interviewer's Perspective - by Dr. Jayant Shenai, VUSM Admissions Committee Member
- VUSM Financial Aid Presentation
- Senior Medical School Interview Survey
- Students interviewing for medical school may be asked questions about medical ethics. Here is a link from the AMA website which has a large database of clinical situations which highlight the of medical ethics in the context of actual patient care. After each situation is outlined, there are commentaries written by physicians from a variety of specialities. We think this will be useful for students as they prepare for their interviews, especially those students who have not taken a medical ethics course..Here is the link:. http://virtualmentor.ama-assn.org/site/cases.html
Suggested Reading for Pre-medical Students
Medical School Admission Requirements by the AAMC
-A must have! Tells you exactly what courses are required for each medical school.
Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students by the AAMC
Resources for Pre-med Students by the AAMC
Suggested Reading for PRE-DENTAL Students
Dental School Admission Requirements by the ADEA
-The must have for Dental applicants! Tells you the exact course requirements for each dental school.