The Health Professions Advisory Office (HPAO) MOVED on Monday, June 23, 2014.
WE ARE NO LONGER IN THE STUDENT LIFE CENTER.
Our new PHYSICAL location is 1801 Edgehill Ave, Suite 106/Room 114 (near the Commons).
Our new MAILING address is PMB 0321
230 Appleton Place
Nashville, TN 37203-5721
Our Phone numbers did NOT change.
Take 21st Avenue to Edgehill (near elevated walkway across 21st Ave)
Take Edgehill almost to 18th Ave. (The Curb Center is at Edgehill/18th)
Enter 1801 Edgehill through the courtyard to the right of the Curb Center.
Enter the 2nd set of double glass doors.
Walk straight down the hallway for approx. 18 yards (towards the Seigenthaler Center).
Suite 106 will be on the right.
Office 114 is towards the back exit door and on the right.
The Health Professions Advisory Office (HPAO) is here to assist Vanderbilt undergraduate students (and others with a Vanderbilt affiliation) interested in attending health professions graduate schools. We meet with students interested in medicine (both allopathic and osteopathic), dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacy, physical therapy, podiatric, etc. Students interested in an advanced career in nursing are encouraged to contact the School of Nursing for advice and counseling (Pre-Nursing Handbook). Please call the HPAO office and we will be happy to schedule a meeting to discuss your questions.
If you are currently not on our ListServ email distribution list, please request to be added so you may receive valuable information.
Aug 26 - 6:15pm - Project:BRIDGES Informational Session - Buttrick 312
Aug 27 - 6:15pm - Project:BRIDGES Informational Session - Buttrick 312
Aug 27 - 7:00pm - AED PRE-HEALTH SOCIETY GENERAL BODY MEETING - Everyone Welcome! - Stevenson Center 4309
Sept 3 - 5:30-8:30pm - "PREPARING FOR A CAREER IN THE HEALTH PROFESSION - (A-K=5:30-7:00pm and L-Z=7:00-8:30pm) - Commons
Sept 3 - 9:00pm - PROJECT NICARAGUA GENERAL BODY MEETING - Buttrick 301
Sept 9 - 6:00pm - PRE-PHARMACY SOCIETY GENERAL BODY MEETING - Buttrick 301
Sept 15 - 3:00-5:00pm - UNIFORMED SERVICES UNIV - F. EDWARD HEBERT SCHOOL OF MEDICINE - LTC Aaron Saguil - TBD
Sept 15 - 5:30pm - UNIV OF TENNESSEE - COLLEGES OF MEDICINE (Mr. Nelson Strother), DENTISTRY (Dr. Stan Covington), PHARMACY, NURSING, HEALTH PROFESSIONS (PT, OT, PA, Clinical Lab Sciences), and GRADUATE HEALTH SCIENCES (PhD Programs) - Stevenson Center 4309
Sept 16 - 5:00-7:00pm - AED SHADOWING REGISTRATION - Upperclassmen and Returning Shadows Only - HPAO Office / 1801 Edgehill Ave, Suite 106 (Link for REQUIRED paperwork)
Sept 17 - 5:00-7:00pm - AED SHADOWING REGISTRATION - Freshmen and New Shadows - HPAO Office / 1801 Edgehill Ave, Suite 106 (Link for REQUIRED paperwork)
Oct 23 - TBD - UNIV OF ARKANSAS MEDICAL SCHOOL - Tom South - TBD
Nov 10 - 7:00pm - UNIV OF CHICAGO MEDICAL SCHOOL - Ms. Sharp-Kellar - Stevenson Center 4309
Vanderbilt Pre-health organizaitons
MCAT (medical college admissions test) Information
Register to take the MCAT - In order to help ensure that you get your desired site and date, please sign up as soon as registration opens.
In 2015, a NEW MCAT will be introduced to reflect the changing nature of medical education. (Please click on the links below for more information.)
Please note the IMPORTANCE OF ADVISING. The information provided in the links below is NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR CONVERSATIONS WITH YOUR ADVISOR! Consult both your school-based advisor and the Health Professions Advisory Office to develop a plan that suits your own strengths, interests, and background.
LINKS FOR GENERAL PRE-MED REQUIREMENTS:
To All Students Applying to Medical, DENTAL, PHARMACY, VET, AND ETC. AL, SchoolS in 2013 for 2014 admission:
An Advisor's Student Applicant Portfolio (ASAP) meeting/interview (which also includes a mock interview) is required in order for the HPAO to prepare a committee letter to the health professions schools. This meeting is strongly recommended since most health professions schools require and/or expect to receive a letter from the school's health professions advisor if the student is still enrolled or has just graduated. These meetings can be scheduled to take place as early as February of the application year. The HPAO should be contacted well in advance of the preferred meeting date since the calendar fills up quickly. The completed ASAP document must be brought to the meeting. Students are also advised to start thinking about which faculty members to approach for letters of recommendation.
HELPFUL AID FOR YOUR INTERVIEW PROCESS
Ever wonder how you come across during an interview? Why not have a virtual mock interview and critique yourself? The Center for Student Professional Development provides a Mock Interview Module in DoreWay which is an excellent resource to guide you to being a great interviewee. Click here for instructions on using the interview module.
early acceptance programs
The Vanderbilt University School of Medicine (VUSM) no longer offers an Early Acceptance Program (EAP)
University of Cincinati ROSE Program (Sophomore Ohio residents)
University of Florida College of Medicine Juniors Honors Medical Program (UFCOM) (7 year BS/MD porgram - does not accept high school students)
- The Decision to Pursue a Career in Medicine
- You and Your Health Professions Advisor: An Important Partnership
- The Premedical Program of Study at Vanderbilt
- The AMCAS Personal Statement
- A Good AMCAS Essay, by Dr. Agnes Fogo, VUSM Admissions Committee Member
- Writing the AMCAS Esssay, by Dr. Tom Oeltmann, former Pre-health Professions Advisor
- The Application Process , by Dr. David Charles, M.D., Associate Professor & Vice-Chairman of Neurology for Education & Development
- Critical Elements of an AMCAS Personal Statement - by Dr. Jayant Shenai, VUSM Admissions Committee Member
- Essay Examples 1-5 Writing a better application essay.doc - by Laurence Solberg, MD, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Tips for Writing a Successful AMCAS Essay.ppt - by Laurence Solberg, MD, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Writers Workshop materials
- How to have a good interview - by Dr. Zic, Associate Dean of Admissions for Vanderbilt Medical School, PowerPoint from AED meeting 9/18/2007
- Medical School Interview: Interviewer's Perspective - by Dr. Jayant Shenai, VUSM Admissions Committee Member
- VUSM Financial Aid Presentation
- Senior Medical School Interview Survey
- Students interviewing for medical school may be asked questions about medical ethics. Here is a link from the AMA website which has a large database of clinical situations which highlight the of medical ethics in the context of actual patient care. After each situation is outlined, there are commentaries written by physicians from a variety of specialities. We think this will be useful for students as they prepare for their interviews, especially those students who have not taken a medical ethics course..Here is the link:. http://virtualmentor.ama-assn.org/site/cases.html
Suggested Reading for Pre-medical Students
Medical School Admission Requirements by the AAMC
-A must have! Tells you exactly what courses are required for each medical school.
Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students by the AAMC
Resources for Pre-med Students by the AAMC
Suggested Reading for PRE-DENTAL Students
Dental School Admission Requirements by the ADEA
-The must have for Dental applicants! Tells you the exact course requirements for each dental school.