- Announcing the Frank A. Woods Award in History, 2013 Winner: Richard Lee Williams . Mr. James Lachs, PB '93 established this award in honor of Frank A. Woods, BA'63, LLB '66. A certificate, and $500, will be given to a graduating senior in the College of Arts and Science who is majoring in History and has the highest grade point average.
- Winner of the 2013 Dewey Grantham Award for best honors thesis: Helen Li, “Culture Card: The Beijing Olympics and the Politics of Mega-Events,” (Figal, Rogaski, Ramsey).
- The Prize Awards have been announced, link here to see the winners.
- TWO GUGGENHEIMS! Daniel J. Sharfstein was awarded a John Simon Guggenheim Foundation Fellowship for his project, “Thunder in the Mountains: The Clash of Two American Legends, Oliver Otis Howard and Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce.” And, Jane Landers was awarded a John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship for her project, "African Kingdoms, Black Republics and Free Black Towns across the Iberian Atlantic". Both are one of 175 scholars appointed "on the basis of prior achievement and exceptional promise" from a pool of almost 3,000 applicants.
- Thomas A. Schwartz received The Madison Sarratt Prize for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching on April 3, 2013 at the Spring Faculty Assembly.
- Dennis Dickerson has received The Berlin Prize for a Fellowship at the American Academy in Berlin spring 2014.
- See many more announcements about Professors and Graduate Students here.
- The Public Archive: (see left navigation bar).
The Public Archive compiles and curates links to primary and secondary sources on Haiti and other poorly-represented nations available through digital repositories, open-access online periodicals, academic journals and newspapers. Please use, share, comment and contribute. Convened by Peter James Hudson.
HISTORY DEPARTMENT SCHEDULED EVENTS 2013-14 will go up in August 2013. Thanks for your patience.
- SUMMER HOURS for the staff offices: M-F, 8 am to 4 pm. May 13 - August 16, 2013.
- SUMMER: Contact all professors via email - offices are closed due to building renovation. Or call the main office 615-322-2575.
- Monday, May 27 OFFICE CLOSED
- Friday, May 31 both Heidi and Brenda out of the office