1. What is Health and Wellness?

Health and wellness can be viewed as a continuum ranging from wellness promotion to prevention to treatment.  An emphasis on prevention and wellness increases the likelihood that more students will be healthy, and fewer will require treatment services for a variety of physical conditions and psychosocial concerns such as eating disorders, sexual violence, and alcohol related incidents.

2. How can Student Care and Community Support help me?

Within the pages of the Vanderbilt student handbook there is information to help you determine how to access immediate help for a troubled student. Student Care and Community Support also provides seamless information about other departments and offices within the university that can best address your need or concern.

3. Where does Student Care and Community Support reside administratively at Vanderbilt?

Student Care and Community Support is administered within the Dean of Students Office and it is a collaborative effort between many departments and offices across the university.

4. What if my concern is an emergency?

If the concern rises to an emergency level and you need to speak to someone immediately please dial 911.

5. How are reports about concerning behaviors a student might exhibit handled?

Once a week during the academic year representatives from, Student Care and Community Support, the Student Health Center, Residence Life and Housing Services, and the Psychological and Counseling Center meet to review students of concern with the academic deans of the specific undergraduate schools and other relevant campus representatives. Students are reviewed for follow-up and any necessary intervention. This collaborative team is referred to as the C.A.R.E. Team (Campus Assessment Response Evaluation Team). In extreme cases, the Associate Dean of Student Health and Wellness will request an urgent meeting with all concerned parties including academic deans and any relevant campus partner for review of a student in need. An action plan appropriate to the situation is agreed upon and implemented.

6. Does Vanderbilt have a protocol for evaluating students who are returning to school after taking a medical leave of absence?

Yes. Student Care and Community Support works with the Student Health Center, PCC and the Academic Deans to review materials you submit requesting a return from leave of absence, which includes documentation from a treating provider. The dean specifies conditions for re-entry (if returning from MLOA) and requests or requires the student to seek continued care based on CARE Team recommendations. PCC can assists with appropriate referrals based on level of care needed. You will be referred to Student Care and Community Support to ensure compliance with the recommendations.

7.  What is Vanderbilt Recovery Support?

Vanderbilt Recovery Support (VRS) provides caring and encouraging support services to assist students who are in recovery from substance use issues, and who are working towards success in their academic, social, personal, and professional lives.  VRS convenes weekly student-led recovery support meetings on campus and holds off campus social and service events.  Members have 24/7 access to the VRS lounge that offers a comfortable space for studying, relaxing and/or socializing with fellow VRS members. 

Beginning in the Fall of 2014, Vanderbilt will offer Recovery Housing.  More information is available at:

8.  Are there special requirements for Recovery Housing?

Students interested in Recovery Housing must have six months of sobriety and be involved in a recovery community.  A completed application is required along with an agreement of the terms set forth in the Recovery Housing Contract.