Skip to Content

Global Support Services

Global Support Services > International Tax > Wages and Salary for Employees

Wages and Salary for Employees

International employees are entitled to compensation for services rendered.  Compensation is generally provided through wages or salary.  In addition, international employees are entitled to all benefits offered to domestic employees.

Department administrators are required to ensure all employees, including international employees, complete the I-9 in a timely fashion.  In addition, adminstrators are expected to make a timely request for Windstar access for all international employee.  Windstar access can be requested via VISIT's online PHN & Windstar Access Request form. 

All international employees, receiving wages, salary or other compensation for services, are required to have a Social Security Number (SSN).  Information about the SSN can be found on our SSN and ITIN webpage

International employees who do not yet have a SSN can begin working as long as their immigration status permits employment.  VISIT will issue a temporary Placeholder Number (PHN) to the department for PAF and VUNet ID purposes.  To request a PHN, please complete the PHN & Windstar Access Request form.  An international employee is required to provide VISIT with the SSN as the SSN must replace the PHN as quickly as possible.  For additional information, please visit our SSN and ITIN webpage.