for Current Students
Here you will
find links to information for students currently enrolled in the
Bridge program. This includes access to course catalogs, course
schedules, financial aid information, and other useful information.
Check this page regularly for updates.
to downolad an informational brochure in PDF format.
Overview of the Bridge Program:
are the basic requirements of the Masters-to-PhD Bridge program.
See below for detailed guidelines and requirements.
- Complete all requirements for the M.A. degree
- Be sure to take at least one core course at Vanderbilt
- Be mindful of the various deadlines and forms to be completed
- Meet at least once per semester with your Fisk and Vanderbilt
- Take the GRE (including the subject exam, depending on which
Vanderbilt PhD program you intend to join)
- Apply to the relevant Vanderbilt PhD program by the January
Bridge Faculty and Postdoc office hours for Fall 2013:
Descriptions of Bridge postdoc specialities
- Natalie Arnett (Fisk): TBD
- Jillian Bellovary (Vanderbilt): Wednesdays 10am-12pm
- Arnold Burger (Fisk): Tuesdays and Thursdays, 8-11am
- Dave Cliffel (Vanderbilt): Tuesdays, Thursdays 10-10:45am
- Dave Ernst (Vanderbilt): Tuesdays and Thursdays 1:00-2:00pm
- Kelly Holley-Bockelmann (Fisk): Fridays 1:00-4:00pm
- Lee Limbird (Fisk): Mondays, Wednesdays 8-10am; Tuesdays, Thursdays 12-12:45pm
- Rudy Montez (Fisk): Mondays 1-5pm
- Steve Morgan (Fisk): Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays 9-11am
- Richard Mu (Fisk): Fridays 10am-12pm
- Brian Nelms (Fisk): Wednesdays 9-11am, Fridays 9:30am-noon
- Keivan Stassun (Vanderbilt): Mondays 9-10am, Tuesdays 1-2pm, Wednesdays 1-2pm
- Keivan Stassun (Fisk): Fridays 9-10am
- Dina Stroud: Thursdays 2-4pm (Fisk)
- Donna Webb (Vanderbilt): TBD
these dates are approximate, and are intended only as a guide. Check
the academic calendar (see links below) for up-to-date information.
- Fall semester 2013
Sept 3 - Last Day to Add/Drop classes at Fisk
Sept 20 - Last Day to Drop Fisk Class with a Withdrawl
Sept 30 - Mid Semester Evaluations
Oct 10-11 - Fall Break Fisk and Vanderbilt
Oct 25-Dec 5 - Registration for Spring (Fisk)
Nov 25-29 - Thanksgiving Holiday
Dec 13 - Fall Term Ends
Information and forms:
- Online tutoring:
- Khan Academy
The Khan Academy is a non-profit educational organization created in 2006 by Bengali-American educator Salman Khan, a graduate of MIT andHarvard Business School. With the stated mission of "providing a high quality education to anyone, anywhere", the website supplies a free online collection of more than 3,400 micro lectures via video tutorials stored on YouTube teaching mathematics, history, healthcare and medicine, finance,physics, chemistry, biology, astronomy, economics, cosmology, organic chemistry, American civics, art history, macroeconomics, microeconomics, and computer science. If there is something that's just not clicking for you, try watching a Khan Academy video! Excellent way to look at something from a different perspective that might really help.
- Qualifying exam info:
- UCSD physics qualifying exam bank
Each exam has an "undergrad" portion and a "grad" portion. The undergrad portion has 10 problems with two each from Mechanics, E&M, Stat Mech, Quantum, and Miscellaneous.More than 40 exams with solutions are posted, and some study materials are also on the website.