Research at Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt University researchers are at the forefront of posing innovative solutions to some of the most challenging questions and obstacles facing us today.
However, to find these solutions, researchers at Vanderbilt University and Vanderbilt University Medical Center largely rely on the generous support of federal grants and contracts, most of which are awarded through a competitive process. In fiscal year 2013, the combined value of federal grants and contracts for research and related activities totaled just over $473 million. These funds come from a multitude of federal agencies, but primarily the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Defense, the National Science Foundation, the Department of Education, and the Department of Energy. Such support allows Vanderbilt University to serve as a leader in research related to personalized medicine, education policy, robotics, and nanotechnology.
The success of Vanderbilt’s research enterprise is evident by the fact that Vanderbilt is one of only 14 universities ranked in the top 25 on each of two key indicators: U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Universities and Colleges” (ranked 17) and federal obligations for science and engineering research and development (ranked 21).
As a major research institution, Vanderbilt is also a significant economic driver in the state. In 2013, an independent economic analysis measured the economic impact of the university at $8.6 billion during fiscal year 2011-2012. Discoveries made in Vanderbilt labs are often translated into commercial products. With the help of Vanderbilt’s Center for Technology Transfer and Commercialization these discoveries and inventions can be protected, evaluated and commercialized – all with an end result of hoping to have a positive impact on the economy and improving lives in our community and across the country.To learn more about Vanderbilt’s research efforts visit:
- Research at Vanderbilt
- University Central Research Administration
- Medical Center Research Administration
Agency Funding at Vanderbilt
- National Institutes of Health Funding at Vanderbilt
- National Science Foundation Funding at Vanderbilt
- Department of Energy Funding at Vanderbilt
- Department of Defense Funding at Vanderbilt
- Department of Education Funding at Vanderbilt
- AHRQ/CMS/PCORI Funding at Vanderbilt
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration Funding at Vanderbilt
- National Endowment for the Humanities Funding at Vanderbilt
- Social and Behavioral Sciences Research at Vanderbilt
- AAU Brochure on Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Research News at Vanderbilt
- Office of Contract and Research Administration
Please note: the recommended print method for the above 1-pagers is to print via the Internet Explorer browser or save and print the PDF from the Adobe Reader on your personal computer.