Home > Foreign Travel
International Travel Documentation
Traveling to Cuba? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org first for current requirements
Please email the following completed documents to email@example.com for review 10 business days prior to your international travel. For more information regarding these forms, see the Best Practices sections below.
Keep a copy of the completed documents for five years past the last date of travel activity.
International Travel Best Practices
If you do not need it, do not take it with you!
- Laptops, tablets, cellphones, and other electronic devices:
- Take a 'clean laptop' and a 'burner cell phone': these devices do not include export-restricted hardware, software, data or information (such as VPN software).
- If a 'clean laptop' is not an option, it is recommended that a temporary export certification be completed and have copies made for project documentation and personal keeping.
- Wi-Fi networks are not always secure: safeguard your personal, sensitive, export-controlled, and proprietary information.
- VEC will assist in analyzing software and hardware on devices to help ensure the item(s) are within export compliance guidelines.
- Procure item(s) and resources needed for U.S.-sponsored projects within the destination country.
- Imports: International customs broker service: Emily Ashworth at V.Alexander , firstname.lastname@example.org
- Review protocol to ensure information, items, area, etc. are secured appropriately.
- Do not take or access your unpublished research, proprietary information, and/or technical data.
- Once outside of or upon your re-entry to the U.S., your laptop or other items may be subject to search or it may be seized without probable cause, suspicion, or warrant.
For more information about booking and managing travel, please visit the following websites:
- Vanderbilt Travel Website
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection : includes d ocuments required by your destination country and ensures accurate customs declaration upon re-entry into the United States.
- Best Practices for Academics Traveling Overseas
- FBI Safety and Security Guidance for Traveling Abroad
- State Department Travel Alerts and Warnings