English for Academics and Professionals
The Pronunciation course focuses on the fundamentals of American English production. The purpose of this course is to help students modify their speech patterns to improve their speaking comprehensibility.
Apply for Enrollment (Spring 2015 only)
- classroom instruction and practice
- digitally recorded assignments with individualized feedback
- focusing on segmentals (individual, problematic phonemes/sounds)
- focusing on suprasegmentals (stress and intonation patterns for various speech functions)
Focus of the course is on:
- increasing intelligibility
- increasing fluency
- increasing accuracy
- identifying and approximating the phonemes of Standard American English
- identifying and approximating the stress and intonation patterns in extended discourse
Both semesters cover all aspects of pronunciation.