English for Academics and Professionals (EAP)
English for Academics and Professionals
The English for Academics and Professionals (EAP) program offers courses in Academic Writing, Academic Speaking, and Pronunciation. EAP courses address written and oral communication issues specific to individuals who have a first language other than English and are pursuing academic and professional endeavors. Students meet both as a group and individually with an instructor to work on their specific language needs.
After you have selected a course, complete the Application for Assessment form (Fall 2014 only).
- Fall 2014 Application Registration will soon open. The survey may close before the testing date depending on the number of applicants.
- Placement into course sections is based on 1) first-come, first-served and 2) schedule availability.
- Only one course may be selected.
- Make a note of the time and date of the section you selected as well as the test date and time. You will not be able to re-enter the survey after you submit it.
- Wait to receive an e-mail message regarding your testing schedule.
- Come to the ELC on the test date for your assessment test.
- Wait to receive an e-mail message regarding confirmation of your placement into an ELC course.
Students complete a language assessment, which includes a writing sample for Academic Writing and a short interview for Academic Speaking and/or Pronunciation. The instructor uses these assessments to develop a language profile for each student with specific areas for focus during the course.
Fall 2014 Assessment:
- Testing takes place Tuesday, September 2 and Wednesday, September 3 (Select test day and time on Registration Form).
- All testing takes place at the English Language Center.
The ELC offers one tuition-free English-language course each Fall and Spring semester to Vanderbilt individuals who have a first language other than English who are undergraduate, graduate, and professional students or VU faculty, staff, and scholars.*
For Medical Center-affiliated non-students, tuition is discounted 50% ($480) for one course per semester, with each additional course within the same semester offered at $960.
*Priority enrollment is given to matriculated, full-time students.
Auditing is not available.
|Tuition Schedule for Eligible VU Community Members|
|1st course||Tuition waiver of $960 (tuition free)|
|2nd course||Tuition discount of 50% ($480)|
|3rd and additional courses||No discount ($960 per course)|
Please see Irene Race (firstname.lastname@example.org; +1 615-322-2277) for tuition inquiries and payment. Full tuition payment is due by the end of the first week of ELC classes, which also ends the drop/add period.
Since ELC courses are funded for VU community members, their continuation is dependent upon participant completion of each course. Therefore, at least 75% attendance and completion of the course is required. If you register for a course but receive a failing grade due to insufficient attendance, you may not be able to register for future EAP courses, and departments will be notified.
After registration, your teacher will contact you with information about your textbook. You can purchase ELC textbooks at the Vanderbilt University Bookstore.
For information regarding content, please contact:
For information regarding assessment, please contact:
For information regarding enrollment, please contact:
For information regarding eligibility, please contact: