English for Academics and Professionals (EAP)
English for Academics and Professionals
The English for Academics and Professionals (EAP) Program offers courses in Academic Writing, Academic Speaking, and Pronunciation. EAP courses address written and oral communication issues specific to individuals who have a first language other than English and are pursuing academic and professional endeavors. Students meet both as a group and individually with an instructor to work on their specific language needs.
After you have selected a course, complete the Registration Form HERE (Fall 2013 only).
- Fall 2013 Registration opens August 1, 2013. The survey may close before the testing date depending on the number of applicants.
- Placement into course sections is based on 1) first-come, first-served and 2) schedule availability.
- Only one course may be selected.
- Make a note of the time and date of the section you selected as well as the test date and time. You will not be able to re-enter the survey after you submit it.
- Wait to receive an email message regarding your testing and placement into a course.
- Come to the ELC on the test date for your assessment test.
Students complete a language assessment which includes a writing sample for academic writing and a short interview for academic speaking. The instructor uses these assessments to develop a language profile for each student with specific areas to focus on during the course.
Fall 2013 Assessment:
- Testing takes place Tuesday, September 3 and Wednesday, September 4. (Select test day and time on Registration Form).
- All testing takes place at the English Language Center.
The ELC offers one tuition free English Language course each Fall and Spring semester to matriculated degree-seeking Vanderbilt international undergraduate, graduate, and professional students (F-1 student visas; J-1s with proof of full-time student status, and Green Card holders with proof of full-time student status).
For all others (including Medical Center affiliated non-students, VU faculty, VU staff, and visiting scholars (including J-1 visa holders, who are doing research and/or not taking courses for credit) tuition is discounted 50% ($480) for one course per semester. Tuition for additional courses is $960 plus materials.
Auditing is not available.
At least 75% attendance and completion of the course is required. If you register for a course but receive a failing grade due to insufficient attendance, you may not be able to register for future EAP courses and departments will be notified.
After registration, your teacher will contact you with information about your textbook. You can purchase ELC textbooks at the Vanderbilt University Bookstore.
For information regarding content, please contact:
Debra Lee, Language Teaching Specialist
For information regarding assessment, please contact:
Adam Steffanick, Language Teaching Specialist
For information regarding enrollment, please contact:
Lee Martin, Assistant Director
For information regarding eligibility, please contact:
Susan M. Barone, Director