English for Legal Purposes
Summer English for Legal Purposes
|Summer 2010 LLM Students with Tennessee Governor Bredesen|
This intensive 80-hour program is designed to provide incoming LL.M. students with the language and academic skills needed to succeed in the demanding LL.M. program at Vanderbilt University Law School.
To access LL.M. Brochure PDF, click HERE.
- Twenty hours per week, for four weeks, of intensive in-class instruction and additional hours for individual assistance on research and writing under the guidance of a legal writing instructor.
- The fundamentals of an LL.M.: learn what to expect from Vanderbilt's LL.M program.
- Oral and written communication development, including small-group and large-group discussion and responses.
- Visits to Tennessee courts and local venues to examine the United States legal system and discuss real-world application of legal practice with judges and law practitioners.
- Certificate of Completion from the Vanderbilt English Language Center and portfolio of relevant work to reference during academic and professional endeavors.
|Summer 2011 LLM Students at the Chancery Court in Downtown Nashville|
- Enrollment restricted to Vanderbilt LL.M. Students.
- All Vanderbilt LL.M. students should contact Cynthia Coleman, Associate Director of Law School Admissions and International Services regarding enrollment in the Summer LL.M. program.
- Tuition: $2,000. Tuition will be withdrawn from Vanderbilt student account.
- Dates: July 15 - August 9, 2013 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Fall and Spring Semester LL.M. Legal English Courses
Academic English for International LL.M. students is a series of courses for students admitted into the Vanderbilt University Law School LL.M. Program. Courses are designed to assist international students in their careers by increasing proficiency and confidence in various types of written legal discourse. Among other activities, students will summarize articles, discuss current legal events, and practice the generally accepted conventions of written legal analysis and citation in the United States.
- Legal Academic Writing: (Fall only) Academic Writing for LL.M. is offered exclusively to Vanderbilt University Law School students enrolled in the Master of Laws program. The course focuses on the structures and conventions of academic writing in general and legal writing in particular. Course activities parallel and support LL.M. students’ work in their required Legal Research and Writing course and emphasizes correct, concise, complete and clear written discourse.
- Legal Academic Speaking: (Spring only) Academic Speaking for LL.M. is offered to Vanderbilt Master of Laws students who wish to improve their public speaking and pronunciation skills in English and broaden their American culture knowledge base as well. Students give both prepared and impromptu presentations, read and discuss topics in US news, and work on the sounds and intonation of American English.
- All interested Vanderbilt LL.M. students should contact Cynthia Coleman , Associate Director of Law School Admissions and International Services regarding enrollment in semester LL.M. courses.
For more information regarding course content, please contact:
Debra Lee, Language Teaching Specialist
Tel: 615-322-2277 Fax: 615-343-9842
For more information regarding eligibility content, please contact:
Susan Barone, Director
Tel: 615-322-7571 Fax: 615-343-9842