Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Introduction
|TEFL Students Earn Letters of Completion|
The TEFL Introduction Program offered by the ELC introduces the foundations of teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL). The program aims to provide students with a basic introduction of language teaching and cross-cultural awareness through workshop sessions, personal interaction with students who have a first language other than English, and observations of TEFL classroom settings. The program was created in conjunction with the Global Education Office (GEO) for students interested in TEFL, potential study-abroad students, and study-abroad returnees who seek ways to apply their cultural experiences.
Please note: The TEFL Introduction Program does NOT offer a TEFL certificate or other credentials.
|TEFL Students Apply Teaching Skills in the Classroom|
The core of the program is six 2-hour workshops from 1pm–3pm:
WORKSHOP 1: Using Cultural Competencies in Teaching [1/17/14]
- Students explore how cross-cultural awareness impacts effective teaching and communication.
WORKSHOP 2: TEFL Approaches, Methods, and Materials I [1/31/14]
- Students review various approaches to teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) and interview an English Language Learner (ELL).
WORKSHOP 3: TEFL Approaches, Methods, and Materials II [2/14/14]
- Students are introduced to basic teaching methods and explore how these methods can be adapted in different settings such as in the service-learning project they engage in with ELLs.
WORKSHOP 4: Guided Lesson Planning [2/28/14]
- Students develop and practice a micro-teaching lesson.
WORKSHOP 5: Micro-teaching demonstration [3/14/14]
- Students lead a micro-teaching activity.
WORKSHOP 6: Poster Session/Collaborative Reflection [3/28/14]
- Students share and discuss projects developed throughout the program as well as reflect on the experiences they have gained throughout the program.
Potential enrollees must apply through the Global Education Office.
For TEFL Intro content information, please contact: