- Beginning: Suitable for the Beginning level dancer with basic or no background in Ballet. A faster pace than ballet basics but still taught with the Beginner in mind. Students will learn Barre and Center work with introduction to jumps,leaps and turns.
- Beginning Intermediate: Beginning Intermediate level suited for students with varied dance backgrounds. Prior understanding of ballet at the basic/mid-level is required. This is a Beginning Intermediate Level class. Students should have a strong Beginning level understanding of Ballet Technique.
- Intermediate: Mid-level class for students with previous training.
- Advanced: Intense muscular workout – considerable experience a must.
- Performance (VDT): Work with choreographer to prepare performance piece for concert. Must be enrolled in Advanced Ballet and be prepared to attend every class.
- Beginning Pointe: Designed for students with little or no background in pointe work, must have a strong background in Ballet and attend the Intermediate Ballet class and have permission of the instructor.
- Pointe: Designed for students in the Int/Adv level classes.
- Beginning: Learn the basics of ballroom including fox trot, waltz, swing, cha-cha, rumba, tango, and more. Hard-soled shoes preferred.
- Intermediate/Advanced: Designed for students with solid working knowledge of ballroom dance. Partner preferred, but not necessary.
Classical dance of South India involving footwork, hand gestures and facial expressions on traditional Indian themes. Informal attire and bare feet. No shorts or skirts, please.
- Beginning: Class designed to introduce students with little or no previous experience to the basic steps and hand gestures of Bharatanatyam, and in the second part of the semester to incorporate this knowledge into a simple composition.
- Intermediate/Advanced: For students with previous experience and a good comand of Bharatanatyam technique. This is a repertoire oriented class in which students will work on mastering a complete dance.
- Beginning: An introduction to the fundamentals of belly dance. This course includes instruction in isolations and foundation techniques. Later in the semester, these movement will be formed into exciting combinations and choreography.
Workout using today’s music and Burlesque style movement. Aerobic and toning.
Explores ways of listening to and directing a partner in communication through movement. It is an environment in which we safely share each other’s weight while seeking the many possiblities available through this exchange. We will discuss some techniques and general principles that facilitate togetherness in improvisational movement. Previous dance experience/strength training is strongly advised.
Based on street dance and video/commercial dance. Tennis shoes and sweats or shorts preferred.Combines lyrical jazz, artistic interpretation and hip hop dance. Focus is placed mostly on style and loosely on technique. Tennis shoes and shorts, or dance clothes preferred.
- Beginning: No experience required; basic Hip Hop techniques and rhythms with a lyrical and interpretive twist.
- Intermediate/Advanced: Moderate to considerable experience required for this fast-paced class.
- Performance (VDT): Must audition in September. Work with a choreographer to prepare piece for concert. Enrollment and attendance in the Int/Adv class is strongly recommended.
- Beginning/Intermediate: Irish step dancing including jigs, reels, slip jigs, figure dancing, and beginning hard shoe work. Soft soled shoes and Irish hard shoes (for later in semester) preferred.
- Beginning: Basic jazz techniques and positions, plus stretching and strengthening.
- Intermediate: Mid-level class for students with previous jazz experience. Focus is placed on strengthening technique and further developing style.
- Advanced: Designed for dancers with a solid working knowledge of lyrical and jazz technique and considerable experience.
- Performance (VDT): Work with choreographer to prepare performance piece for concert. Must be enrolled in Intermediate or Advanced Jazz and attend every class. Must have previous experience in level of performance class.
- Musical Theatre Jazz (Offered occassionally in Summer Dance Festival) : Class explores the technique of Bob Fosse and other styles of movement commonly found in musical theater productions. This class is for experienced dancers with a good technical foundation. Ladies should bring heeled character shoes to wear in the second half of class
- Beginning: Students will learn footwork, dance positions and connections between partners. A partner is preferred and will facillitate an easeful class. Students may also focus on the Cha Cha, Samba, Mambo, Rumba, and more as part of the Latin section of class.
- Beginning: Introduction to the basic skills and terminology of modern dance. Focus on control, center, breathing, balance, strength and musicality.
- Intermediate: Designed for the dancer who has some basic dance technique and language, developing a further understanding of the body center and control.
- Intermediate/Advanced: Designed for experienced dancers, refining and articulating modern dance principals.
- Performance Modern (VDT): Work with choreographer to prepare performance piece for concert. Must be enrolled in Int/Adv Modern or Advanced Modern/Contemporary Technique and attend every class.
Intermediate Salsa refines footwork, dance positions and connections between partners, building to a more complex level of Salsa dancing.
The Pilates method of body conditioning. This aerobic series of floor work exercises will condition entire body from the inside out. Improved posture, a sharp mind and physical rejuvenation are the benefits. A thick Pilates mat is suggested.
Please note, Advanced Pilates is for students who have had at least two full semesters in Pilates training.
- Beginning: Beginning to mid-level class; some experience necessary.
- West Coast : This fun and energetic class is a contemporary, club-style danced to hip hop, R&B, or jazz music.
A syncopated movement dance style that is exhilarating and great fun for all ages.
- Beginning: Basic techniques of tap.
- Intermediate: Designed for students with solid knowledge of tap technique.
- Performance: Preparation for concert piece. Must be enrolled in Intermediate Tap and attend every class.
- Rhythmic Tap: This class will focus on the importance of rhythm and sound, and is designed for students with some tap experience.
Abs, Hips and Thighs: Workout class that focuses on the areas between the rib cage and knee. Mostly floor work a mat is recommended.
Offers a meditative approach to assist the body in stretching to its fullest potential.
- Beginning: Learn basic postures and posture flows.
- Intermediate: Continue learning posture flows in addition to inverted postures such as backbends, spinal twists, head stands. Blanket or mat needed.
- Yoga Dance: Combines posture flows, deep stretching, dance and musicality for an expressive and graceful yoga experience.