School for Science and Math at Vanderbilt
PLEASE MAIL in your application by February 13. We encourage you to request a return receipt from the post office. In-person deliveries are strongly discouraged. Please plan ahead.
Are you up for the challenge?
We live in a fast-paced world that requires a society and workforce with strong science and technology backgrounds. The School for Science and Math at Vanderbilt (the SSMV) seeks highly-competent and motivated Metro Nashville Public Schools (MNPS) high school students who are passionate about science and math, ready to apply themselves as today's problem solvers, and interested in becoming tomorrow's leaders. The SSMV will prepare students to successfully engage in college studies at an accelerated rate, promote pursuit of graduate, postgraduate and professional study, and provide the strong foundation crucial for career success. This unique program is limited to 26 students per grade, and only those attending an MNPS school are eligible. To ensure every qualified student who is chosen can participate, there is no charge for the program.
Beyond the fast-paced and exciting curriculum, a student at the School for Science and Math:
- will commit to the program for the entire four years including academic year and summer courses ;
- will attend the SSMV on Vanderbilt's campus one full day per week in 9th and 10th grade
- will attend School classes and work in an assigned laboratory on Vanderbilt's campus to fulfill 11th and 12th grade requirements;
- must make up all work missed at their zoned (regular) school;
- must maintain excellent standing in both the SSMV and their zoned school.
Are you interested? You're in the right place!
Find out more in this section of our website:
- See some of what you'll do here at the SSMV on our Curriculum Information pages;
- Our News Items highlight special events and trips our students take;
- Meet some of our current students in our Student Spotlights section;
- And find out everything about applying to the SSMV on our Application Information , Application Calendar , and Application FAQs pages;
- When you are ready, click Apply Now!
Are you a current 11th grader looking for a research internship this summer?
Check out the Research Experience for High School Students from the Vanderbilt Center for Science Outreach.