First year MFA students work as writing consultants in the Writing Studio, a free and confidential writing resource for Vanderbilt students. At the Writing Studio students have the opportunity to meet individually with trained consultants and talk about their writing concerns and projects. The Writing Studio is also an inviting space where students can come to write or study.
The duties of MFA students who work in the Studio include:
- holding one-to-one consultation sessions across disciplinary boundaries with student-writers of all skill levels and learning styles
- organizing and facilitating workshops
- composing handouts on writing
- visiting classrooms
- engaging in periodic mentoring sessions with other writing consultants
- attending Writing Studio sponsored events
- participating in and developing Writing Studio outreach programs
- and attending training sessions and regular staff meetings as needed
First-year MFA students must submit a CV, a statement about teaching, and a cover letter expressing their interest in the teaching of writing. They receive a statement of support from the English Department’s Director of Graduate Studies verifying their availability for employment in the Writing Studio.