School-Specific Commencement Week Instructions
Detailed instructions specific to your school for Commencement week activities.
- College of Arts and Science
- Blair School of Music
- Divinity School
- School of Engineering – Undergraduate
- School of Engineering – Masters
- Graduate School
- Law School
- School of Medicine
- School of Nursing
- Owen Graduate School of Management
- Peabody College – Undergraduate
- Peabody College – Post Baccalaureate
Faculty and Staff:
Commencement exercises will be held on Alumni Lawn Friday morning. The lineup of candidates for degrees will begin at 8:25 a.m. The procession of all candidates begins at 9 a.m. sharp. The morning can be long and hot with lots of walking. Remember to wear comfortable shoes and lightweight layers.
Candidates for degrees assemble no later than 8:25 a.m., according to their schools and alphabetically. There will be signs posted with alphabetized student names. Students should first look for their appropriate line (according to their degree) and then for their place in the alphabetical order.
Arts and Science: Northeast corner of Rand Hall facing Alumni Lawn
May 2014 degrees – Approximately first two-thirds of alphabet
Arts and Science: Southwest corner of Neely Auditorium facing Alumni Lawn
From the head of the line in the following order:
- 1st – May 2014 B.A. degrees – Approximately last third of alphabet
- 2nd – December 2013 B.A. degrees
- 3rd – August 2013 B.A. degrees
- Blair, Engineering, Divinity & OGSM: Southwest corner of Alumni Hall between Neely Auditorium
- Peabody and Nursing: East side of Kirkland Hall esplanade near Kissam and Dyer dormitories
Graduate School: Between McGill Hall and Tolman Hall facing Alumni Lawn
- This group includes School of Engineering – Master’s degree candidates
- Law and Medicine: Northwest corner of Sarratt Hall between Tolman Hall facing Alumni Lawn
Also note the location of your school on the Degree Candidates diagram located on the Maps page. There will be signs for each school posted. Once there you will be directed by the faculty and student marshals as to your order.
Undergraduates: You must assemble in alphabetical order within your degree and march with your school. There are no exceptions. (It takes almost 20 minutes for the nearly 3,500 degree candidates to reach their places for the program!)
Academic caps are worn during the procession. The tassel is worn on the left side front.
At approximately 10:15 a.m., the graduate schools will be dismissed to attend their respective degree ceremonies. At that time the seats previously occupied by all graduate students will be opened up to guests.