Faculty Needing Regalia
Purchase Deadline - Friday, April 7
Doctoral and master faculty that would like to purchase new regalia (cap and gown) should contact Oak Hall directly at 800-223-0429.
Rental Deadline - Friday, April 7
For all faculty, faculty marshals and staff, please see the following people, depending upon which department you are in, when ordering, picking up and returning your regalia for Commencement:
|A & S||Melissa Wocher
Assistant to the Dean
|615-343-3143||301 Kirkland Hall|
Assistant to the Dean
|615-322-7660||2400 Blakemore Ave.|
Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs
|615-343-3964||115 Divinity School|
|615-343-3773||5332 Science and Engineering|
Manager, Faculty Support Services
|615-322-0045||131 21st Ave. South|
Administrative Director, Office of Medical Student Affairs
|615-322-5007||4th Floor, Eskind Library|
|615-322-4836||217 Godchaux Hall|
Assistant Director of Academic Programs and Student Life
|615-322-3128||300 Management Hall|
Assistant to the Dean
|615-322-8264||202 Peabody Admin. Bldg.|
If you have questions not covered in these instructions, call 615-322-2870 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, May 12 – (Commencement Day)
8:25 a.m. Faculty and officers of administration report to the northwest side of Rand Terrace to line up for the Academic Processions. Promptness in lining up is imperative.
- Part 1 – The Academic Procession will be composed of the provost and the vice chancellor for health affairs who will lead in the 2016 emeritus faculty and the faculty who will remain on Alumni Lawn for the duration of the undergraduate ceremony. Faculty who will be attending graduate or professional diploma-awarding ceremony should line up with that school (in front of the candidates, behind the dean and banner bearer). Emeritus faculty who wish to attend a graduate or professional ceremony may leave their seats when the graduate and professional schools recess at 10:15 a.m.
- Part 2 – The academic procession will be composed of the Alumni Association president, members of the Class of 1966, followed by the chair of the Faculty Senate carrying the mace, the trustees, the officers of administration, the chancellor and the chairman of the Board of Trust.
- 8:30 a.m. GUESTS should be seated on Alumni Lawn no later than 8:30 a.m. to see the procession. Bottled water, programs and fans are available on the perimeter of the seating area. Please advise your guests to pick these up on the way to their seats.
- 9:00 a.m. The procession of candidates enters Alumni Lawn to seating reserved for candidates and faculty as guided by faculty marshals. After students are seated and at the second trumpet signal the academic procession (the order of procession will be printed in your Commencement Program) will move toward the platform.
- 10:15 a.m. Recession of graduate and professional school degree recipients and their faculties as instructed by the Chair of the Faculty Senate from the platform. These groups will depart as led by a Faculty Marshal.
- Noon – 1:30 p.m. Strawberries and Champagne Celebration for the Class of 2016 and their guests. Library Lawn.
- 12:30 – 2:00 p.m. Informal luncheon for faculty participating in the graduation exercises. Buttrick Hall Atrium.
Inclement Weather Plan
In the event of inclement weather the ceremony will be held in Memorial Gymnasium. If in doubt, check the Vanderbilt website or call the Vanderbilt telephone operators at 615-322-7311. You may also upload the Commencement App to your mobile device which receives regular updates on event changes.
There will be no procession for candidates in Memorial Gym.
Members of Academic Processions Part 1 and 2 will still process and should enter through the Procession Party Entrance (to the right of the main entrance doors) located on the East side of the gym facing 25th Ave to line up. Faculty marshals will be on hand to assist.
Graduate & Professional (arrive by 8:15 a.m.)
Faculty who will be attending the diploma-awarding ceremony at their respective schools should sit with the degree candidates in either section 2L (Peabody, Medicine, Law) or 3L (OGSM, Nursing, Divinity, Engineering, Graduate).
Undergraduate (arrive by 8:15 a.m.)
Faculty who will be staying for the undergraduate diploma-awarding ceremony, and marching in procession, should enter through the Procession Party Entrance (to the right of the main entrance doors) located on the East side of the gym facing 25th Ave.