Look for the 2018 Commencement App for the latest news and weather alerts and 2018 Commencement Website November 2017
- 2018 - May 9, 10, 11
- 2019 - May 8, 9, 10
- 2020 - May 6, 7, 8
- 2021 - May 12, 13, 14
Commencement is three days of events, culminating with the conferral of degrees on the second Friday of May, every year.
- 8:00 pm - The Martha Ingram Commons Open Houses
- 9:00 pm - "The Party"
- 11:00 am - Nichols-Chancellor's Medal Award Ceremony and Senior Day Speaker
- 2:00 pm and 3:15 pm - Faculty Seminars
- 9:00 am - Main Commencement Ceremony (Undergraduate/Graduate/Professional)
- 10:30 am - Graduate and Professional School Diploma-Awarding Ceremonies
- 12:30 pm - Strawberries and Champagne (Undergraduate class & their guests)
- Vanderbilt is located near the heart of downtown Nashville.
- Nashville International (BNA)
- JC Tune Airport
- WEDNESDAY - Events begin at 8:00 pm.
- THURSDAY - Events begin at 11:00 am.
- FRIDAY - The ceremony begins at 9:00 am.
- There are four complimentary parking garages on campus with shuttle service available all three days.
- Vanderbilt University is surrounded by hotels. When searching, view hotels in the West End Area to be close to campus. Most suburbs surrounding Nashville are a 30-minute drive
- On campus accommodations are available for $99 a night. Reservations begin in late November.
Do family members and guests need tickets to attend the Commencement ceremony?
No ticket necessary and there is no limit on the number of guests.
Is seat-saving permitted?
No. Because it is a ticket-free event, seat-saving is prohibited.
How long does the main ceremony last?
Usually three hours.
Where is it held?
It is an outdoor ceremony on Alumni Lawn.
What if it rains?
Mild rain will not affect location. In the event of serious weather, the event will be moved indoors to Memorial Gym.
Will I get my real diploma when I graduate?
Yes. Vanderbilt hands out signed diplomas.
If I finish in August or December 2017, when is my ceremony?
There is only one commencement ceremony a year held every May.
Do you accommodate guests needing special assistance?
Yes. We offer wheelchairs, sign language, and other options.