Co-Sponsorships for Visiting Speakers and Events

Vanderbilt Center for Latin American Studies Procedures and Guidelines for Event Sponsorships and Co-Sponsorships Requests

Procedure to Request Funds from CLAS


CLAS allocates funding each semester to support visiting speakers and other events related to Latin America at Vanderbilt organized by departments and schools.  Applications for funding are rolling and co-sponsorships are rotated between various departments and schools requesting funding.  Funds are limited; the earlier a proposal is submitted the more likely it will be funded.

Small co-sponsorships ($250-$500): Please fill out the application below and send it by email to Avery Dickins de Girón (

Larger sponsorships ($500+): Please fill out the application below and send it to Avery Dickins de Girón (  For larger sponsorships, we ask that you contact us in the early stages of planning, as early as possible, but ideally by the semester before an event planned for the following semester.  We would like to work with you on the development of such larger events, and we will often create additional programming (teacher workshops, etc.) around such events.  If the request is over $3000, we will have to submit the proposal to our Steering Committee for approval.

 Application and Guidelines for CLAS Funding

Guidelines for Use of Federal NRC Funds

  1. NRC funds may not be used for food, beverages or per diem expenses.  They should be used to pay costs for transport (airfare, car rentals/travel, taxis and any other ground transport), lodging, instructional supplies, room rental fees and service fees.
  2. The following information is needed by Alma Paz-Sanmiguel to process all payments: name of payee, address, payee phone number, employee ID or social security number (please do not send SSN via email; call Alma at 615-322-2527), and purpose/service of payment.  Contact: alma.paz-sanmiguel@Vanderbilt.Edu.
  3. For both domestic and international travel, a Vanderbilt travel form must be filled out by the traveler and submitted to Alma Paz- Sanmiguel of  CLAS.  If international travel is involved, a travel request must also be submitted to the Department of Education through Alma.  This request must be approved by the Department of Education BEFORE purchasing airfare.  Travel must be on US carriers only.
  4. Individuals without US social security numbers who receive honoraria or payment for services are likely liable to pay US taxes.  This is dependent on the country of citizenship; please contact Thea Cole in Vanderbilt’s International Tax Office for assistance with this:; 3-3546.  This does not apply for payments to individuals performing services outside of the United States.
  5. Graduate students who are on university stipends may not receive any additional income for services during the academic year.  They may receive payments in the summer interim.

Comments Off

Comments are closed at this time.