The Mission Statement of the Board of Trust
The Board of Trust’s mission is to help Vanderbilt University achieve its goal to become one of the top ten research and teaching universities in America and to be admired for its service to the community. As fiduciaries of the University, the Board of Trust shall work through the Chancellor to:
- Determine the University’s strategy;
- Guarantee its fiscal soundness including providing leadership to its development efforts;
- Establish appropriate policies;
- Assure adequate human resources exist to implement the University’s strategy;
- Review progress toward the University’s goal
The Mission Statement of Vanderbilt University
Vanderbilt University is a center for scholarly research, informed and creative teaching, and service to the community and society at large. Vanderbilt will uphold the highest standards and be a leader in the
- quest for new knowledge through scholarship,
- dissemination of knowledge through teaching and outreach,
- creative experimentation of ideas and concepts.
In pursuit of these goals, Vanderbilt values most highly
- Intellectual freedom that supports open inquiry,
- equality, compassion and excellence in all endeavors.