Why Choose ROTC?
ROTC teaches you to lead.
Army ROTC (Reserve Officers Training Corps) is one of the best leadership courses in the country and is part of your college curriculum. During classes, leadership labs, physical training and field training exercises, you will learn firsthand what it takes to lead others, motivate groups and conduct missions as an Officer in the Army. Upon graduation from Army ROTC, you will earn the bar of a Second Lieutenant and be commissioned into the Active Army, Army Reserve or Army National Guard and become a leader for life.
Work hard, play hard.
Prepare for your future as a military officer while experiencing everything college has to offer. As a Go Gold cadet, you will gain confidence through rappelling, combat water survival training, learning military customs and leading squad-level tactics--but you're also a student first. You will have the opportunity to join student organizations, intermural sports, honor societies, and fraternities or sororities, all while pursuing your degree. Vanderbilt Army ROTC will give you the tools you need to excel in all areas of your college life.
Vanderbilt students are leaders across campus, and hold positions in both ROTC and other student organizations
Scholarships are competitive. Eligibility requirements include:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be between the ages of 17 and 26
- Have a high school GPA of at least 2.50
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Meet physical standards
- Score a minimum of 920 on the SAT (math/verbal) or 19 on the ACT (excluding the required writing test scores)
- Agree to accept a commission and serve in the Army
Scholarship Application Online
If you are a high school student applying for a scholarship, you first will need to create a MY GOARMY account. Use your newly created account information to log in and select the option "ROTC 4-Year Scholarship Application" button. This will direct you to the online scholarship application. The initial Application Deadline is 10 January of your Senior Year. Applications can be submitted as early as February of your Junior Year. Apply early! If you have questions about the scholarship or application process, contact us.
Army officers reflect the best of America and the most competitive applicants exhibit traits of scholar, athlete, and leader.
- Scholar: National Honor Society, Honors and Advance Placement Courses, GPA over 3.0, Top 10% of Class, SAT/ACT over 1100/24
- Athlete: Varsity Letters from school team, member of regional, city, or competitive league, organized competitive team sports, individual athletic competitions
- Leader: Elective member of student government or class, Captain of academic team, position of responsibility in a school, club, or volunteer organization
Army ROTC students who receive a scholarship or enter the Army ROTC Advance Course (Junior and Senior Year) must agree to complete a period of service with the Army.
- You can serve on full-time active duty for three years (four years for scholarship winners) and four years with the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR)
- Selected Cadets may choose to serve part-time in the Army Reserve or Army National Guard while pursuing a civilian career
Scholarships are awarded based on a student's merit and grades, not financial need. Army ROTC scholarships consist of:
- Two-, three-, and four-year scholarship
- Full-tuition scholarships
- The option for a full room-and-board scholarship in place of tuition, if you already have an outside tuition scholarship
- Additional allowances for books ($1200 per year) and fees (such as a student recreation center fee)
- At Vanderbilt, you will receive an extra $6,000 per year towards room and board
Living ExpensesArmy ROTC scholarships also provide monthly living allowances for each school year. You can earn certain amounts depending on your level in the Army ROTC curriculum:
- 1st year, $300 per month
- 2nd year, $350 per month
- 3rd year, $450 per month
- 4th year, $500 per month
ROTC also pays you for any full-time summer training! For more details on the National High School Scholarship or to create your my GOARMY account, visit the website.