Women and Gender Studies is accepting submissions for the Susan Ford Wiltshire Essay Competition!
Posted on Tuesday, March 4, 2014 in Uncategorized.
The Women’s and Gender Studies Program gives two awards each
spring, one for the best undergraduate essay and one for the best graduate
essay. The submitted essays must be on a topic concerning gender, race,
ethnicity, class, and/or sexuality. They must have been written during the previous calendar year (spring, summer, or fall 2013).
The competition is open to students in all schools and colleges of the University, including graduating seniors.
- The essay can be written for any University course or requirement.
- It can use any methodology or approach.
- It must be prose, not poetry.
- Undergraduate submissions should be 8–10 pages.
- Graduate submissions should be 20–25 pages.
- We will not accept essays that have been previously published or considered for publication.
- We will not accept essays that are pending grades.
- One submission per person!
Essays should be submitted to the Women’s and Gender Studies
Program office (124 Buttrick Hall) by 5:00 P.M. on Wednesday March 26,
To submit an essay:
Go to http://as.vanderbilt.edu/wgs/forms_files/Wiltshire.pdf and download a cover sheet. Attach cover sheet to your essay. Do not include your name on headers or footers within the
essay. We will only accept hard copies; e-mail submissions will not be accepted. If you have questions, please contact email@example.com.
Essays will be judged on the following criteria:
- Clarity of Analysis
- Quality of Writing