Resident Adviser Overview
Each Resident Adviser (RA) is a graduate or undergraduate student. The RA is under the direction and management of the Head Resident (HR) and supervision of the Area Coordinator (AC). RA’s work to fulfill the mission of the department by creating and maintaining a safe and healthy environment conducive for living and learning.
Roles of a Resident Adviser
In order to successfully create an environment where the mission of the department can be achieved, a Resident Adviser takes on the following roles:
- Role Model
- Resource Person
- An embodiment of the Community Creed
- Have at least 2 semesters of college or university residential living experience
- Maintain a semester and cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Be available for a full academic year (fall and spring semesters), unless otherwise agreed upon with the Associate Director of Residential Education
- Be a student in good academic and student conduct standing at Vanderbilt University
Terms of Employment
Students are limited to work twenty hours (undergraduate) and twenty-nine hour (graduate) per week , according to Office of Student Employment guidelines. As a Resident Adviser you are employed for fifteen hours per week, which means additional employment cannot equal more than five hours (undergraduate) or nine hour (graduate) per week.
- Submit an application–Link can be found on the Application Forms page. The Application deadline is Friday, January 11th by 11:59pm.
Each application must include a resume and cover letter
- Attend at least one information session. The dates and times of information sessions may be found on the Information Session page.
- Attend either the Friday/Saturday or Tuesday interview process which take place in February.