- B.A. (Physics) - Drew University, 1961
- M.S. (Physics) - Rutgers, The State University, 1963
- Ph.D. (Physics) - Rutgers, The State University, 1967
FIELDS OF INTERESTS:
- Electronic Materials, Surface and Interface Science
- Thin Films, Epitaxy, Materials Science
- Materials Modification and Analysis Using Ion Beams
CURRENT RESEARCH ACTIVITIES & NEWS:
- 1996 - Stevenson Professor of Physics, Vanderbilt University
- 1996 - Distinguished Visiting Scientist, Oak Ridge National Lab
- 1967-96 - AT&T Bell Laboratories
- 1990 - 1996 - Department Head: Silicon Materials Research Department,
Silicon Electronics Research Laboratory (R. E. Howard, Director)
- 1987-1990 - Department Head: Thin Film Semiconductor Research
Department, Materials Processing Laboratory, (A.Y. Cho, Director)
- 1984-1987 - Department Head: Materials Interfaces and Ceramics
Research Department, Materials Science Laboratory,
(G.Y. Chin, Director)
- 1983-1984 - Supervisor: Materials Interface Characterization Group,
Physical Metallurgy and Ceramics Research Department, (G. Y. Chin, Dept. Head)
- 1967-1983 - Member of Technical Staff:
Radiation Physics Department, (W. L. Brown, Dept. Head)
PROFESSIONAL HONORS AND AWARDS:
- 1999 - Adler Lectureship Prize - American Physical Society
- Fellow of the American Physical Society
- Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters (elected, 1994)
- Distinguished Member of Technical Staff - AT&T Bell Labs
- 1978 - Chairperson, Gordon Conference on Particle - Solid Interactions
- 1996 - Chairperson, Gordon Conference on Defects in Semiconductors
- Robert Mehrabian Distinguished Lecturer in Materials -
University of California, Santa Barbara
- 1991 - Ontario Center for Materials Research, Distinguished Lecturer
- Fellow of the American Vacuum Society
CURRENT RESEARCH ASSOCIATES & STUDENTS:
- Graduate Students
- Jonathan Bennett
- M. Morales
- Research Associates
- 1997- - Editor, J. of Vacuum Sci. and Tech.
- 1985- - Editor-in-Chief, "Applied Surface Science," North Holland
- 1989 - 1994 - Principal Editor, Journal of Materials Research
- 1986- - Editorial Board, "Surface Science Reports," Elsevier
- 1982- - Editorial Advisory Board - "Radiation Effect," Gordon and Breach
- 1996 - Livermore National Lab, Physics Div. Adv. Panel
- 1996 - Sci. Adv. Council, Institute for Semiconductor Physics, Frankfurt-Oder, Germany
- 1992 - Sandia Labs - Review Panel
- 1991- - Chairperson, Scientific Council, Danish Microelectronics Ctr.
- 1983-1986 - University of Chicago Review Committee for Argonne National Lab. (Physics Div.)
- 1988 - National Science Foundation Science and Tech. Centr. Selection Panel
- Chairperson, SEMATECH Com. on Critical Materials for Elec. Tech.
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS:
- "Fundamentals of Surface and Thin Film Analysis," L. C. Feldman and J. W. Mayer, (New York: North Holland-Elsevier, 1986); translated into Japanese, Kaibundo Publishing (1988); translated into Russian, MIR Publishing (1989).
- "Electronic Materials Thin Film Science," K. Tu, J. W. Mayer and L. C. Feldman, (New York: McMillan Pub., 1992).
- "Materials Analysis by Ion Channeling," L. C. Feldman, J. W. Mayer, and S. T. Picraux, Academic Press, N.Y. (1982).
- "Fundamentals of Surface and Thin Film Analysis," L. C. Feldman and J. W. Mayer, North Holland-Elsevier, N.Y.(1986); translated into japanese, Kaibundo Publishing (1998); translated into Russian, MIR Publishing (1989).
- Articles- over 250 including:
- Ultrathin Dielectrics in Si Microelectronics - An Overview, L. C. Feldman, E.P. Gusev, and E. Garfunkel in "Fundamental Aspects of Untrathin Dielectrics of Si-Based Devices," pp. 1-24, ed. by E. Garfunkel, E.P. Gusev, and A. Ya Vul; Kluwer Academic Publications (1998)
- Penetration of Aluminum into 8-Tris-hydroxyquinoline Aluminum (alq) Thin Films: The Role of Aluminum Oxide, M.B. Haung, K. McDonald, J.C. Keay, Y.Q. Wang, S.J. Rosenthal, R.A. Weller and L.C. Feldman, Appl. Phys. Let. 73, 2914 (1998).
- Resistivity and Oxygen Content of Indium Tin Oxide Films Deposited by Room Temperature Pulsed Laser Ablation, Y. Wu, C.H.M. Maree, R.A. Weller, R.F. Haglund, M.A. Morales-Palizza, M.B. Huang, J.D. Hamilton, and L.C. Feldman (submitted to Appl. Phys. Let.).
- Interfacial Segregation in Strained Heterostructures: Boron in Si3Ge.2/Si, N. Moriya, L.C. Feldman, S.W. Downey, C.A. King, and A.B. Emerson, Phys. Rev. Let. 75, 1981 (1995).
- 14 patents related to thin film growth and hetrostructure formation