Charles A. Brau
Professor of Physics
Office: 6639b Stevenson Center
Home Phone: 615-269-6721
Cell Phone: 615-403-1760
- B.E.P. (Cornell, 1961)
- M.A. (Harvard, 1962)
- Ph.D. (Harvard, 1965)
- Atomic and molecular physics
- Lasers and light sources
- Electron beams
- High-brightness electron beams
- Tabletop Cherenkov and Smith-Purcell FELs
- Compton backscatter x-ray sources and FELs
- P227a Intermediste Classical Mechanics
- P121b Principles of Physics
- 1988-present : Professor of Physics, Vanderbilt University, Nashville,
- 1965-70: Senior Research Staff Scientist, Avco Everett Research Laboratory,
- 1970-71: NATO Postdoctoral Fellow, Kamerlingh-Onnes Laboratory, Leiden,
- 1971-76: Senior Research Staff Scientist, Avco Everett Research Laboratory,
- 1976-87: Program Manager, Free-Electron Laser, Los Alamos National
Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM
- 1987-88: Sabbatical Leave, Quantum Institute/University of California,
Santa Barbara, CA
- 1988: Visiting Scientist, Department of Nuclear Physics, University
of Oxford, Oxford, England
- 1988-95: Director of the Free-Electron Laser Center, Vanderbilt University,
- Tau Beta Pi Association
- American Physical Society (Fellow)
- Sigma Xi
- 1995 - William Streifer Award for Scientific Achievement (IEEE Lasers
and Electro-Optics Society)
- 1996 - Free-Electron Laser Prize (18th International Conference on
Free-Electron Lasers, Rome)
- Heather Andrews
- Jonathan Jarvis
- "Near-Resonant Vibrational Energy Transfer in N2-CO2 Mixtures,"
R. D.Sharma and C. A. Brau, Phys. Rev. Lett. 19, 1273 (1967).
- "Emission Spectrum of XeI* in Electron-Beam Excited Xe/I2 Mixtures,"
J. J. Ewing and C. A. Brau, Phys. Rev. A12, 129 (1975).
- "354-nm Laser Action on XeF," C. A. Brau and J.J. Ewing,
Appl. Phys. Lett. 27, 435 (1975).
- "Laser Action on the 2Sigma+ - 2Sigma+ Bands of KrF and XeCl,"
J. Ewing C. A. Brau, Appl. Phys. Lett. 27, 350 (1975).
- "Emisson spectra of XeBr, XeCl, XeF, and KrF," C. A. Brau
and J. J. Ewing, J. Chem. Phys. 63, 4640 (1975).
- "Laser Action on the 342-nm Molecular Iodine Band," J. J.
Ewing and C. A. Brau, Appl. Phys. Lett. 27, 557 (1975).
- "Rare-Gas Halogen Excimers," C. A. Brau, Chapter 4 of Excimer
Lasers, C. K. Rhodes, Ed., Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1979).
- "Ground-State Dissociative Attachment Rates in HCl and Cl2,"
R. C. Sze, A. E. Green, and C. A. Brau, J. Appl. Phys. 53, 1312 (1982).
- "Free-Electron Lasers," C. A. Brau, Science 239, 1115 (1988).
- Free-Electron Lasers, C. A. Brau, Academic Press, Boston (1990).
- "Undulator Radiation," C. A. Brau, Am. J. Physics 64, 662
- "High-Brightness Photoelectric Field-Emission Cathodes for Free-Electron
Laser Applications," Nucl. Instr. Meth. A393, 426 (1997).
- "High-Brightness Electron Beams - Small Free-Electron Lasers,"
C.A. Brau, Nucl. Instr. Meth. A 407, 1 (1998).
Problems in Classical Electrodynamics, C. A. Brau, Oxford
University Press, New York (2003, in press).
- "Combination Free Electron Laser and Gaseous Laser," C. A.
Brau, S. D. Rockwood, and W. E. Stein, February 19, 1980.
- "Microwave Accelerator e-Beam Pumped Laser," C. A. Brau,
W. E. Stein, and S. D. Rockwood, March 11, 1980.
- "RF Feedback Free-Electron Laser," C. A. Brau, D. A. Swenson,
and T. J. Boyd, September 1, 1981.
- "Catalac Free Electron Laser," C. A. Brau, D. A. Swenson,
and T. J. Boyd, April 6, 1981.
- "Circular Free Electron Laser," C. A. Brau, N. A. Kurnit,
and R. K. Cooper, April 10, 1984.
- "Free Electron Laser Using RF Coupled Accelerating and Decelerating
Structures," C. A. Brau, D. A. Swenson, and T. J. Boyd October 23,
Married, 3 children, 7 grandchildren
Hobbies: bicycling, photography
Copyright Vanderbilt University