Faculty Forms and Procedures Concerning ABD Students
Dissertation advisers are responsible for completing the requisite paperwork for their advisees and submitting the required documents in hardcopy to the Director of Graduate Studies. Please read the instructions below carefully. Follow the links to access the required forms.
1. Appointing a Dissertation Committee. The Graduate School requires that a Request to Appoint a Ph. D. Committee form be completed. Please submit to the DGS along with this form two additional materials: (1) A current CV from the proposed outside reader, and (2) a paragraph or two (composed by the Adviser) explaining why the proposed outside reader is qualified to serve as an outside evaluator of the dissertation project.
2. Scheduling a Prospectus Exam. Once a student’s dissertation prospectus is ready to defend, the dissertation Adviser must submit a Request to Schedule a Qualifying Examination form to the DGS. Note that this form must be submitted to the Graduate School at least two weeks prior to the requested examination date; this means that this form should be completed and in the hands of the DGS a few days earlier than that.
- 2.1 Prior to the date of the prospectus examination, please complete a Qualifying Exam Results form. This must be signed by the members of the examining committee and the DGS.
3. Scheduling a Dissertation Defense. When a student is ready to defend his or her dissertation, the dissertation adviser must submit a Request to Schedule a Final Defense form to the DGS. Note that this form must be submitted to the Graduate School at least two weeks prior to the requested defense date; this means that this form should be completed and in the hands of the DGS a few days earlier than that.
- 3.1 Prior to the date of the dissertation defense, the Graduate School will send to the Dissertation Adviser a Dissertation Defense Results form. This form must be signed by all members of the Dissertation Committee and the DGS.
Additional forms are required in order to accomplish other things, such as changing a student’s dissertation committee. All forms are available on the Graduate School’s Form Locator Website.